Anti-Racism 101: How to Show Up for Racial Justice
Start: Thursday, January 28, 2021• 6:00 PM • Pacific Standard Time (US & Canada) (GMT-08:00)
End: Thursday, January 28, 2021• 7:30 PM • Pacific Standard Time (US & Canada) (GMT-08:00)
The past year has shed sustained light on the immense influence white supremacy continues to have on our nation. From the police violence to the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on communities of color to the recent insurrection at the Capitol, now is the time to find pathways into anti-racism work in our communities. If you are feeling called to action but are not sure how to or where to begin, this workshop is for you.
In this introductory workshop, we’ll start by understanding systemic racism as a system of advantage rooted in the beliefs and institutionalization of white supremacy, rather than a product of individuals who are “good” or “bad”. We’ll also discuss how individuals can engage in an ongoing practice of anti-racism to actively dismantle racism in their daily lives. Attendees will have opportunities to engage in small-group dialogue and create a plan for taking at least one action in support of racial justice within their personal spheres of influence. Join us as we come together in community to learn, empower, and participate in change.This workshop welcomes anyone who would like to participate, but it is especially well-suited for white people who are:
- In the early stages of exploring what it means to be a white anti-racist
- Seeking to grow their skills in analyzing and discussing the effects of racism
- Feeling compelled to take action to create a more just world
- This event will be held on Zoom, and a computer or smartphone will be required.
- Closed captioning can be offered. If possible, please let us know you plan to use Closed Captioning by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- This event will be offered only in English; we have not yet built capacity for translation to other languages.