Celebrate & Stand Up for Medicare, Medicaid, & Social Security!
Start: August 09, 2018• 2:30 PM
End: August 09, 2018• 4:00 PM
Location:United Federation of Teachers•52 Broadway, New York, NY 10004
Host Contact Info: Health Care for America Now NYC
Speakers, testimonials, cake, and more!
Co-sponsors [list in formation -- let us know if you'd like to be listed]: American Medical Students Association, Region 1 * Center for Independence of the Disabled in NY * DC 1707 Retirees * Gray Panthers of NYC * Health Care for America Now-NYC * Metro New York Health Care for All * NYS Alliance for Retired Americans, NYC Chapter * NY Statewide Senior Action, NYC Chapter * PNHP NY Metro * PSC Retirees * Radical Age Movement * 1199 SEIU Retirees * UFT Retired Teachers Chapter
(Note: The map above may not be displaying correctly. The correct location is in lower Manhattan, just below the intersection of Broadway and Wall St., and NOT in Brooklyn alongside the Williamsburg Bridge.)
Why we must act!
· 53 years ago on July 30, LBJ signed Medicare and Medicaid into law.
· 83 years ago on August 14, FDR signed Social Security into law.
· These 3 programs are the bedrock of our nation’s historic social contract and safety net. They keep millions of New Yorkers healthy and out of poverty, and millions of families out of bankruptcy.
· The new tax cut law that benefits large corporations and the super-rich threatens these programs because it blew a nearly $2 trillion hole in the federal budget.
· Congressional leaders and President Trump are now calling for large funding cuts for and major changes to these 3 programs in order to fill-in the gap. Even worse, they are also calling for another round of $1 trillion tax cuts for the super-wealthy.
What do we want?
EVEN MORE tax cuts for the 1% elite? …or health care and economic security for the rest of us?
This fall, New Yorkers can vote to protect and improve Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and other health care and social programs. We can register voters and get them to the polls!