Celebrating the Nuclear Weapon Ban Treaty's entry into force
Start: Friday, January 22, 2021• 6:00 PM • Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney (GMT+10:00)
End: Friday, January 22, 2021• 7:00 PM • Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney (GMT+10:00)
The 22nd of January 2021 is the day the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons enters into force. From this day onwards, nuclear weapons will be illegal under international law.
Join the Tom Uren Memorial Fund to celebrate this historic day, honour the past and look ahead towards Australia's ratification of the treaty.
- Hon Anthony Albanese MP, Leader of the Australian Labor Party and patron of the Tom Uren Memorial Fund
- Dr Helen Durham, Director of International Law and Policy, International Committee of the Red Cross
- Armando Vargas Araya, Ambassador of Costa Rica
- Gem Romuld, ICAN Australia Director
- MC: Robert Tickner AO, former CEO of Australian Red Cross and ICAN Ambassador
A passionate anti-nuclear and peace activist, Tom Uren believed that the dropping of atomic bombs on Japan was a crime against humanity, and fought all his political life against these immoral weapons. The Fund honours his memory and supports the work of ICAN Australia.
Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/97518358167
To view all events occurring in Australia online and in person, click here.
To donate to the Tom Uren Memorial Fund, click here.