Green New Deal VA VIRTUAL Summit 2020
Start: Wednesday, June 03, 2020• 6:00 PM • Eastern Daylight Time (US & Canada) (GMT-04:00)
End: Wednesday, June 03, 2020• 9:00 PM • Eastern Daylight Time (US & Canada) (GMT-04:00)
Our Summit looks a little different this year -- COVID-19 and the economic fallout from the pandemic has hit Virginian's hard -- but this is a powerful opportunity to focus on the importance of connecting climate advocacy, to social justice, when considering any possibility of adequately addressing the climate crisis. In the midst of this uncertainty, Green New Deal VA is fighting for all Virginians. Our Coalition shares a continuity of purpose. Struggles for justice are connected. Racism, the economy, and the environment are interrelated.
The second hour of our summit will be an intensive, issue-focused break-out session lead by our working group leaders. Please choose a breakout session from the list below to complete your registration. We encourage you to join from your computer or tablet to enhance your experience and ability to participate in the discussion.
- Democratic Governance - Building open, responsive, and accountable government that serves the needs and preferences of the public. Ensuring that all have the opportunity to participate and have a voice in how they will be governed.
- Defossilization, Energy Efficiency & Renewables (DEER) - Strategies for making Virginia's economy carbon free.
- Food & Agriculture - Creating climate-smart solutions to reduce agriculture's damaging effects on soil health and climate, while protecting our communities from toxic chemicals in our water and food supply.
- Sustainable Cities & Transportation - Working to build healthy, equitable communities through transportation funding, policy, and projects while decreasing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Social Justice & Health Disparities - Identify and create transformative strategies and public policies to mitigate environmental and systemic injustices in order to improve health, equity, and liveability outcomes and to ensure an equitable and just transition that leaves no workers or communities behind.
- Sustainable Jobs - As part of a Just Recovery, working to create thousands of good jobs while addressing the climate emergency and restoring Virginia’s environment.
- Financing Green New Deal VA - Identify funding mechanisms on the state level to finance the change needed. Public Banking, Project Finance and Federal Funding.
Similar to the economic recovery plans of the second world war, after the coronavirus crisis has passed, Virginia must enact a just recovery plan across all sectors to develop a clean economy to prepare for a fossil fuel free future. Join us at the Summit, and help our coalition partners identify Green New Deal VA Legislative Priorities for 2021.
Here's a look back at the 2020 General Assembly Session:
Now is the time for hope. The pieces of the puzzle are in place. We have the solutions, and our Working Groups have the opportunity, to create legislation to fortify the holes in our system -- and ensure a just recovery away from fossil fuels -that protects workers, communities, and the climate. We have the chance to do something extraordinary, and re-create our entire system. As they say, a crisis is a terrible thing to waste. Let’s get it done! WE RISE TOGETHER - JOIN US!