May Day Immigration Rally
Start: May 01, 2017• 3:00 PM
End: May 01, 2017• 5:00 PM
People are joining together across the country on May 1st to demonstrate their support of immigrants and refugees
Let's gather to show that all are welcome in Westmoreland.
We will have:
- Petitions to ask our state legislators to oppose anti-immigrant legislation. Click here for a brief summary of the 11 (!!) anti-immigration bills already introduced this session.
- Pre-stamped postcards for you to mail to your legislators.
- A local musician, Molly Spino, will be singing a cappela for the group and speak on the refugee crisis in Greece.
- A sign-up to place an order for this yard sign to show your support for all our immigrant neighbors. The sign reads "No matter where you're from, we're glad you're our neighbor" in Spanish, English, and Arabic. (Proceeds will go to support refugees through Catholic Charities.)
- Join us after the rally for amazing Syrian food at Bean and Baguette (right down the hill on West Otterman). Let's support their business while planning future events!
- This video from the Reimagining Our Westmoreland project explains how immigrants are crucial to sustaining our economy and revitalizing our aging county. Watch it to learn how to educate our neighbors that we need to actively seek immigrants for this area, not buy into the xenophobic idea that immigrants hurt our community.
- On Wednesday, May 3rd there will be a naturalization ceremony. It is typically held at the courthouse but they are going to host a very special ceremony at the Westmoreland Art Museum at 1 PM to welcome our new citizens. All are invited, no RSVP necessary.