Nonviolence Training for Civil Disobedience
Start: 2021-06-23 19:00:00 UTC Brisbane (GMT+10:00)
End: 2021-06-30 20:30:00 UTC Brisbane (GMT+10:00)
This is a virtual event
Nonviolence Training for Civil Disobedience and other forms of Direct Action
This is 2 consecutive 100 minute sessions. Both are required. One on 23 June, One on 30 June: 7pm AEST / 7:30pm ACST / 5pm AWST
This training will prepare you for non-violent participation in civil disobedience. You will leave with an understanding of why non-violence is vital to our civil disobedience actions, how it is achieved and what further steps you need to take to be ready to act.
Science tells us we need immediate, unprecedented action to respond to climate change. Australian government policies are literally adding fuel to the fires the climate crisis is driving in this country and across the world. It is up to Extinction Rebellion to take peaceful, direct action to get them to act now.
Non-violent civil disobedience has a long history of success in achieving large scale change, from Jabiluka to the Indian Independence Movement and the Civil Rights Movement.
- Understand how non-violent civil disobedience fits into XR’s strategic vision
- Learn the skills needed to practise and promote nonviolence during actions
- Address your fears or concerns about participating in actions
- Explore what kind of arrestable and non- arrestable action roles best suit you
- Identify your next step towards taking action.
For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org