Organizing for Justice: Essential Skills
Start: Monday, February 20, 2023•10:00 AM
End: Thursday, February 23, 2023• 3:00 PM
This is a REGIONAL training for Southern organizers (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MO, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV).
Agenda at a glance:
Over the course of four days, you will:
- Based on deep power analysis, deepen your understanding about how to develop strategic campaigns
- Learn to inject a racial justice & root cause analysis into your organizing
- Understand how to be more effective in your outreach, recruitment, and leadership development
- Gain skills to build effective coalitions
- Reflect on your practice
Check-in begins at 9:15 am on Monday morning.
We will start promptly each day at 10 am, and conclude at 5 pm Monday though Wednesday. We will end at 3 pm on Thursday afternoon.
- We will have coffee/tea available all four days; meals are on your own. The location will be steps away from a wide variety of affordable restaurants.
We are offering a sliding scale for these online trainings because we want them to be accessible to all groups engaged in organizing. The fee is for a single participant. (Each participant must register separately.)
During registration, you will be asked to select your organizational budget. The amount you will be charged is displayed there as well. After registration, you will receive TWO emails - one automatically from Action Network; one from Midwest Academy with your invoice and a payment link (that one might take a few business days).COVID Protocols: (for a complete list, click here)
As we continue to prioritize the health and safety of our staff and participants, we require the following:
- providing proof of full vaccination (required prior to arrival; last eligible shot received at least 14 days prior to the start of the training) or an exemption waiver (anyone with an exemption will need to take a PCR test within 48 hours of the start of the training).
- wearing a mask throughout the training unless actively eating or drinking
Please make sure your mask fits securely and covers your nose and mouth completely. We highly recommend N95 or KN95 masks and will have a limited supply for those who need them.
We will provide sanitizer as well, and will also offer a limited supply of antigen tests.
We will send a one-page liability waiver along with your invoice. We must have a signed copy on file for you to join our training.
If we determine the need to cancel due to health and safety concerns, we will conduct the training virtually instead and give a refund for the cost difference. If you are not able to join virtually, we will provide a full refund or credit for future in-person training.
- We will cap this training at 30 people. Because of this, we ask organizations to limit the number of participants in a single training to 3. Each participant must register separately.
- You'll note 3 optional demographics questions at the end of the registration; if you are registering someone else, do NOT complete these questions.
(Why are we asking this? As a nonprofit, we, like many of you, receive grant funding; these funding sources often ask basic demographics questions. We will only share aggregate, anonymous responses with funders, and will NEVER include identifying information.)
Finally -- we will invoice each registrant via email; if you are coming with a colleague and your organization would prefer a single invoice for all participants, note that in your registration, please!
In the event you cannot make this training, please reach out to us as soon as you know. This helps us accurately plan and keeps our waitlist from growing unnecessarily. This policy reflects our belief that it will be increasingly difficult to recruit new participants the closer we get to the start of the training, especially given health concerns and travel costs.
- If you let us know before January 9th, you will receive a full refund or credit for future training.
- If you let us know between January 9th and 23rd, you will receive a 50% refund or credit for future training.
- If you let us know after January 23rd, you will not receive a refund or credit for future training.
If you do NOT show up and have given no notice, we cannot provide a refund or credit.
Registration for the session may be transferred to another individual at any point. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!