Paddle on the Dan River: No MVP Southgate!
Start: Saturday, May 27, 2023•10:00 AM
End: Saturday, May 27, 2023• 5:00 PM
*WEATHER-RELATED* updates regarding this Saturday’s Dan River Paddle!
NEW MEETUP TIME: 10AM
MEETUP LOCATION: 587 Bethlehem Church Rd, Eden, NC
- The weather forecast for Sat May 27 in Eden, NC is calling for 50% chance of rain in the afternoon.
- We’re going to stick with our plan to paddle that day, but we will move up our start time from 11am to 10am. The new meetup time is 10am at the same location: Dan River Access Boat Launch - 763 S Fieldcrest Rd, Eden, NC
- In the event of rain, we will end paddling early, and enjoy lunch and an indoor screening of the film "Haudenosaunee Canoe Journey" at a nearby venue
7 Directions of Service, POWHR, Appalachian Voices and the Dan Riverkeeper invite surrounding communities and local leaders to join a free Canoe Paddle on the Dan River on Saturday, May 27th to build relationships, spark joy and learn about how we can protect our waterways from the Mountain Valley Pipeline Southgate Extension.
No canoe experience required. Lunch will be provided. Spots are limited, and registration is required.
What to expect:
- Please arrive at 10am at the Dan River Access Boat Launch to fill out a waiver and hear a safety talk - if you are running late, you can reach out to Kasey at 617-306-6190
- We will be paddling an easy/beginner section of the river under the guidance of Riverkeeper, Steven Pulliman, and stopping for lunch midway
- All canoes and water safety gear will be provided
- Lunch is being provided by Appalachian Voices! We will also have a water jug to refill water bottles (please BYO), and some extra water on hand
- Please wear clothing and/or bathingsuit you are comfortable getting wet in (there may be opportunities to swim!), bring a hat and any sun protection you desire
- At the end of the paddle, we will be transported via shuttle back to our cars