Rally to Break Free From Plastic at Senator Padilla's SF Office
Tuesday, July 20, 2021• 1:45 PM
We're drowning in plastic waste. 15+ million metric tons of plastic enter our oceans every year, the majority from single-use plastic (like bottles) that is littered on land. Join activists from Beyond Plastics, California Interfaith Power & Light, Break Free From Plastic, Sierra Club, and more, for an in-person rally to send an S.O.S. to Senator Padilla to address plastic pollution, starting by passing the new National Bottle Bill and supporting the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act.
One million plastic bottles are bought around the world every minute and more than half a trillion plastic bottles will be sold this year. These single-use plastic bottles are clogging our oceans, rivers, streets, landfills and poisoning our air when they're burned in incinerators.
But there is hope! Senator Jeff Merkley and Representative Alan Lowenthal, lead sponsors of the BFFPPA, will introduced a new National Bottle Bill that would:
* Reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators;
* Dramatically reduce litter by at least 40% or more;
* Increase beverage container recycling rates significantly;
* Conserve natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
* Save energy; and
* Help create new jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries.
* Boost income - many canners would see their income increase dramatically
Sign up today and let us know that you'll join us for a peaceful rally and send an SOS to Senator Padilla to pass these bills!