People's Climate March Tampa Bay
Start: April 29, 2017•10:00 AM
End: April 29, 2017• 1:00 PM
The Trump Administration's all-out assault on the environment, science, and our nation's most vulnerable communities will not stop us from moving forward! On April 29, we will unite for our climate and rights, and declare that Tampa is ready for 100% renewable energy!People's Climate March Tampa is in solidarity with the People's Climate March on DC on Apr. 29, 2017.
We thank our growing group of amazing Partnering Organizations:
- Organize Florida
- Environment Florida
- Sierra Club Florida
Women's March St. Petersburg/Pinellas Co.
Women's March Tampa/Hillsborough Co.
- National Nurses United
- League of United Latin-American Citizens (LULAC) Council #7250
- The Climate Mobilization
- Florida Indigenous Rights and Environmental Equality (FIREE)
- Action Together Tampa Bay
- For Florida's Future
- Surly Feminists for the Revolution-Tampa Bay Chapter
- Florida Immigrant Coalition (FLIC)
- Fight for 15 Florida
- Center for Biological Diversity - St. Pete
- Pachamama Alliance Tampa Bay
- Organizing For Action Tampa Bay
- Food & Water Watch
- Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Florida Future Labor Leaders
- Florida Council of Churches
- St. Pete Women's Collective
On April 29, we'll come together in support of Tampa committing to 100% clean and renewable energy. NOW’s the time for Tampa to act on climate! The Tampa Bay area is one of the most vulnerable places in the world regarding climate change. And as the third-largest city in the state, Tampa is in a unique position to push Florida forward on climate change adaptation and mitigation action. Tampa's Sister People's Climate March will involve: 1) A Rally, 2) A March, 3) Sea-Level Rise Exhibits and most importantly, 4) Opportunities to Take Action!
MARCH ROUTE MAP WITH PARKING LOCATIONS AND DIRECTIONS TO LYKES GASLIGHT PARK:
There will be 2 portalets at MacDill Park on the Riverwalk. One is differently-abled accessible.
WHAT TO BRING:
Bring a water bottle! We will have water jugs.
Wear your lifejacket, floaties and snorkels for pictures and for the march! We gotta be prepared for when our city goes under!
Dress comfortably for walking and wear sunscreen.
We will have many signs but please feel free and encouraged to bring your own!
GETTING TO THE EVENT:
You can bus, bike, ferry, or take a Lyft! BUS: To find your nearest bus stop and bus, download the app "OneBusAway." (Seriously, try it!). BIKE: To rent a bike through Coast Bike share program (those blue bikes you see locked up around town), go to http://coastbikeshare.com/. FERRY: To ferry from near the Hillsborough River, check out the Pirate Water Taxi at http://www.piratewatertaxi.com/. To ferry from St. Pete, check outhttps://crossbayferry.com/schedule-rates/.
From Pinellas County:
- Take I-275 N to N Tampa St in Tampa. Take exit 44 from I-275 N
- Continue on N Tampa St. Drive to E Madison St
From Brandon/East of Tampa:
- Using I-4: I-4 West to 275 South exit; Keep right to Exit 45A, follow signs for Downtown W, then follow signs for TAMPA St.; follow Tampa St. to E. Madison St.
- Using Selmon/Crosstown: Crosstown Expy/FL-618 Toll/Selmon Expressway: Take Selmon WEST to Exit 8 to merge onto FL-60 W/E Kennedy Blvd toward Downtown-East; follow Kennedy Blvd to approximately 200 block; Lykes Park is on the Right
From North Tampa:
- I-275: Take I-275 South toward Tampa/St. Petersburg; Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 45A toward Downtown W; then follow signs for Tampa St. Follow Tampa St. to E. Madison St.
- I-75: Take I-75 South toward Tampa/Naples: Take exit 261 to merge onto I-4 W toward Tampa, I-4 West to 275 South exit; Keep right to Exit 45A, follow signs for Downtown W, then follow signs for TAMPA St.; follow Tampa St. to E. Madison St.
- Street Parking: Parking north of Kennedy is free on weekends! Use parking machines to pay for parking south of Kennedy (Note that pay stations are solar-powered!)
- Ft. BROOKE Parking Garage is approximately 2 blocks from Lykes Gaslight Park: entrance on Whiting, past Franklin and before Florida.
- WILLIAM F. POE Parking Garage is right next door to the Straz Center: entrance on Ashley, past W. Cass St. and before E. Polk St.
Schedule and Route
9:30am: TABLING BEGINS at Lykes Gaslight
9:55am: Native American Prayer
10:00: RALLY BEGINS at Lykes Gaslight
10:01am: Dayna, Welcome and Intro
10:06am: SPEAKER 1: Frank Jackalone, Sierra Club Florida Director
TOPIC: Ready for 100
10:10am: SPEAKER 2: County Commissioner Pat Kemp
TOPIC: Investing in clean energy
10:13am: SPEAKER 3: Carrie Henriquez, Tampa City Council Guido Maniscalco’s Aide
TOPIC: Investing in clean energy
10:16am: SPEAKER 4: Jerry Green, FL Outreach Director of VoteVets.org
TOPIC: Marginalized Communities and Climate Justice
10:19am: SPEAKER 5: Sheridan Murphy, Founding Member of FIREE, Florida Indigenous Rights and Environmental Equality
TOPIC: Native Americans and Climate Justice
10:22am: SPEAKER 6: Ana Lamb, LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens)
TOPIC: The Hispanic Community and Climate Justice
10:24am: SPEAKER 7: Ashiqur Rahman, USF postdoctoral scholar and anthropology researcher
TOPIC: Bangladesh and Climate Justice
10:27am: SPEAKER 8: Nurse Michelle Nungester with National Nurses United
TOPIC: Human Health and Climate Justice
10:30am: SPEAKER 9: Dr. Rick Garrity, retired Executive Director of the Hillsborough County Environmental Protection Commission.
TOPIC: Ready for 100
10:33am: Dayna closes the rally
10:45am: Dayna begins the “Action Hour” training
10:45: ACTION HOUR BEGINS
Pick up clipboards at Petition Station
Make phone calls at the Phone Bank Station
Writer letters to your representative or write a Letter to the Editor at the Letter-Writing Station
11:25am: Begin to assemble for the march at the Kennedy and Franklin corner of the park
11:30am: MARCH BEGINS
Leave Lykes Gaslight by Crossing Kennedy at Franklin
Walk down south sidewalk of Kennedy
Walk down west sidewalk
Cross Whiting alley
Arrive at MacDill Park
12:00pm: March ends, everyone should be at MacDill to check out the Sea Level Rise exhibits.
12:00pm: PETITIONING RE-CONVENES at MacDill Park on the Riverwalk
Pick up your clipboards at the Petition Station.
1:00pm: EVENT ENDS; please return your clipboards to Petition Stations at MacDill and Lykes Gaslight.
Media:Take all the pictures and videos you’d like. Facebook Live is an awesome tool as well. Organizations to tag include @OrganizeFlorida, @SierraClubFlorida, @EnvironmentFlorida, @SierraClubTampaBay, @WomensMarchFlorida, @NationalNursesUnited, @FIREE and more. Please use these hashtags: #ReadyFor100; #ClimateMarchFL; #PCMTampa
With everything at stake, everyone has a role to play, whether you’ve been engaged for decades or you’re coming out for the first time. Join us!
Our T-Shirt Fundraiser is now available at https://www.bonfire.com/peoples-climate-march-tampa-fl-2017/. Please show your support and share the webpage with your friends!
PLEASE RSVP!! For more info, contact: Dayna Lazarus, Organize Florida, (727) 259-3655 or firstname.lastname@example.org OR Jill Wenner, Women's March Pinellas, email@example.com. Also, please check out our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/519948188175402/