Pre-Convention Discussion #1: Building a More Democratic DSA
Start: Thursday, July 06, 2023• 6:00 PM
End: Thursday, July 06, 2023• 7:30 PM
This is the first in a series of three member-to-member discussions we've organized over the month of July in preparation for the DSA National Convention.
The convention will be taking place August 4-6 in Chicago. Our chapter is sending 24 delegates and 2 alternate delegates to the convention, where they will meet comrades from around the country and vote on important resolutions that will help shape the socialist movement over the next two years and beyond!
The pre-convention discussions are an opportunity not just for the delegates going to Chicago, but for all of our chapter’s members to come together and discuss the content of what will be voted on in August so that we can give input to the delegates and better inform ourselves.
The topic of this first meeting is Building a More Democratic DSA. We encourage comrades to read the following resolutions beforehand (follow links to the resolution compendium):
- Strengthening Democracy by Increasing Member Input and Creating a National Delegates Council
- Democratize DSA 2023
- Strengthening Democracy by Strengthening DSA's Elected Leadership
- For a Political, Prolific, and Democratic DSA Editorial Board
- Convention-Elected Full-Time Co-Chairs
- NPC recommended: For Full-Time Political Leadership in DSA
- National Advisory Committee
- Renew the National Activist Conference
- Launch a Democracy Commission for DSA
- NPC recommended: NPC Steering Committee Roles as Committee Chair
Please note a couple things:
- We will not have time to discuss all resolutions that will be voted on at the convention. We selected resolutions based on a poll of the delegates, and tried to group similar ones together.
- Amendments to the resolutions will be coming out soon, but are not yet available. These will also be discussed, and this calendar event will be updated with links to them when they are available.
- We will summarize each resolution in person at the discussion, but to have the best dialogue, we highly recommend comrades take some time to read the resolutions ahead of time.