RGV Owning the Dream Training: Community Navigator for DACA/DAPA
Start: Saturday, February 20, 2016•10:00 AM
End: Saturday, February 20, 2016• 4:00 PM
Are you interested in learning how to help your community with DACA and DAPA*? Want to get involved with LGBTQIA+ and immigration activism in the Rio Grande Valley? Aquí Estamos and United We Dream invite you to attend our FREE comprehensive training near you!
Owning the Dream Training:
Community Navigator for DACA/DAPA
Saturday, February 20th (10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.)
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
1201 W. University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539
Who should attend this training?
- Members and volunteers of community organization or groups,
- Students interested in immigration policies and laws,
- Members and Leaders of LGBTQIA+ community,
- Staff and volunteers of service provider organizations (legal, health, education, community, etc),
- Church members or leaders,
- Union members and workers,
- Educators, school staff, guidance counselors at schools and educational institutions,
- Anyone who is interesting in learning how to help your community be able to get DACA or DAPA!
At the training we will cover:
- An overview of DACA, Expanded DACA, and DAPA
- Opportunities for organizers and non-legal volunteers in implementation
- How to engage participants at info sessions and clinics
- Unauthorized Practice of Law. How to avoid it, How to report fraud
- Organizing opportunities in the Rio Grande Valley on LGBTQIA+ and immigration
*Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and LPRs (DAPA) are the executive actions on immigration giving certain undocumented immigrants access to work permits and safety from deportation. Although currently there is a lawsuit that is preventing people from applying to the new DAPA program and the DACA expansion of 2014, the original DACA program from 2012 is still available for those who are eligible.