Scottish Climate Justice Movement Assembly
Start: Saturday, May 28, 2022•10:30 AM
End: Saturday, May 28, 2022• 5:00 PM
Scottish climate justice movement assembly
Join us for a day of building connections, learning new skills and gaining a better understanding of climate movement strategy.
The dust is settling after COP26 and the Scottish climate movement is starting to pick up momentum again. We learned from COP26 that we are stronger when we work together, building links between interconnected issues, learning from one another, and using a diversity of tactics.
We are currently faced with continued overlapping crises - the COVID-19 pandemic, huge rises in the cost of living and rapidly escalating climate change. In order to make what we do the most effective and powerful it can be in the face of such huge challenges, it’s important that we have a solid understanding of strategy and plenty of skills in our collective toolbelt to create effective change.
You’re invited to join us on the 28th of May in Glasgow for a day exploring how we build collective power for a stronger and more strategic Scottish climate movement.
Together we will:
Explore strategy and different ways change happens
Learn about different tactics and skills
Meet new people and learn from each other
Explore how we can better work together for a stronger movement
This event will continue some of the conversations on movement strategy we started at our Climate Justice Gathering in December, and online Movement Assembly in February.
Who is it for? Anyone from groups and organisations working towards climate justice or involved in connected struggles for justice, plus individuals interested in getting more involved in the climate justice movement in Scotland. You’re very welcome whether you participated in previous events or not.
Booking & Logistics
Lunch will be provided, so we can sit down together around a good meal. Spaces are limited, please sign up as soon as possible.
The event is largely grant-funded and free for participants, but if you are attending on behalf of a funded organisation who can pay for your attendance, or are able to contribute as an individual, we suggest you make a donation of £20, or whatever you can afford, towards our access fund. This will be used to make sure the event is as accessible to as many people as possible.
Who are the organisers?
This event is organised in partnership by:
- Young Friends of the Earth Scotland is a grassroots network of young people (aged 16-30), from across Scotland, working collectively for social and climate justice.
- Friends of the Earth Scotland is Scotland's leading environmental campaigning organisation, working for environmental & climate justice and campaigning for the planet and its people.
- Tipping Point UK - Tipping Point UK is a movement building organisation which provides behind the scenes support to the grassroots climate justice movement in the UK, specifically on Stop Cambo, Defund Climate Chaos and Care & Repair.
- MORE - migrant led grassroots organisation campaigning for the asylum seeking people right to employment education, decent housing and dignity.
- Tripod: Training for Creative Social Action - Tripod is a worker-owned co-operative, we empower communities and movements to work in better alignment and more strategically towards their goals.
- Please let us know when you book if you would like to be reimbursed for your travel costs, and if you require accommodation for those travelling from outside the Central Belt. We can also cover childcare costs and provide BSL and/or language interpretation if you let us know in advance.
- The rooms that we are using in the Pearce Institute are wheelchair accessible, and there is an accessible toilet. The closest subway station is Govan (3 minutes away).
- There will be a quiet room available throughout the day.
- We are still in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic. In order to make this event as accessible as possible, we ask that, if you are able to, you wear a mask at all times when not eating or drinking. We will also be asking all participants to take and register a Lateral Flow test, dependent on the availability of tests at the time of the event. A full Covid safety protocol will be shared in advance of the event.
- If you have any questions or concerns about accessibility please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com