S.O.S: Senator Schumer, Rescue Us From Plastic Pollution
Tuesday, July 20, 2021•11:45 AM
We're drowning in plastic waste. 15+ million metric tons of plastic enter our oceans every year, the majority from single-use plastic (like bottles) that is littered on land. Join activists from Beyond Plastics and the Fourth Universalist Society for an in-person rally to send an S.O.S. to Senator Schumer to address plastic pollution, starting by passing the new National Bottle Bill.
One million plastic bottles are bought around the world every minute and more than half a trillion plastic bottles will be sold this year. These single-use plastic bottles are clogging our oceans, rivers, streets, landfills and poisoning our air when they're burned in incinerators.
But there is hope! Senator Jeff Merkley and Representative Alan Lowenthal have just introduced a new National Bottle Bill that would:
* Reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators;
* Dramatically reduce litter by at least 40% or more;
* Increase beverage container recycling rates significantly;
* Conserve natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
* Save energy; and
* Help create new jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries.
* Boost income - there are roughly 8,000 canners in NYC who could see their income double, as The National Bottle Bill sets a standard $0.10 deposit on most bottles, twice NY's current $0.05 deposit.
Sign up today and let us know that you'll join us for a peaceful rally and send an SOS to Senator Schumer to PASS THIS BILL!