Extinction Rebellion Dallas - Signup
Why We Rebel
The un-neccessary and preventable deaths that have resulted from the Climate Crisis, is a direct result of our government's failure to uphold our constitution and protect the public from the very companies most responsible for bringing about the Climate Crisis.
Why we rebel is rooted in the Texas Constitution, Article 12, Section 2. Simply put, our government, at all levels of government, and all three branches of our government, have failed to uphold our own constitution, and have been corrupted by campaign finance contributions from high net worth individuals and corporations for their benefit, and not for the people of the State of Texas!
GENERAL LAWS FOR CREATION OF PRIVATE CORPORATIONS AND PROTECTION OF PUBLIC AND STOCKHOLDERS. General laws shall be enacted providing for the creation of private corporations, and shall therein provide fully for the adequate protection of the public and of the individual stockholders.
Our Authority to act is rooted in our state constitution, Article 1, Section 2 of the Texas Bill of Rights.
INHERENT POLITICAL POWER; REPUBLICAN FORM OF GOVERNMENT. All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit. The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient.
The Citizen's Assembly will define and decide how best to alter, reform, and or abolish, our current State government to insure a just transition to a more accountable government.
What We Demand!
These demands only represent XR US. They are still in the process of development.
1. That the Government must tell the truth about the climate and wider ecological emergency, it must reverse all policies not in alignment with that position and must work alongside the media to communicate the urgency for change including what individuals, communities and businesses need to do.
2. The Government must enact legally-binding policies to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and take further action to remove the excess of atmospheric greenhouse gases. It must cooperate internationally so that the global economy runs on no more than half a planet’s worth of resources per year.
3. We do not trust our Government to make the bold, swift and long-term changes necessary to achieve these changes and we do not intend to hand further power to our politicians. Instead we demand a Citizens’ Assembly to oversee the changes, as we rise from the wreckage, creating a democracy fit for purpose.
4. We demand a just transition that prioritizes the most vulnerable people and indigenous sovereignty; establishes reparations and remediation led by and for Black people, Indigenous people, people of color and poor communities for years of environmental injustice, establishes legal rights for ecosystems to thrive and regenerate in perpetuity, and repairs the effects of ongoing ecocide to prevent extinction of human and all species, in order to maintain a livable, just planet for all.
A world where we build thriving connections within our society and environment, bringing hope and enabling us to decide the direction of our lives and futures. An inclusive world, where we work consciously to ensure fair processes of collective decision-making, where creativity is prioritized, and where our diversity of gifts are recognized, celebrated and flourish.
To spark and sustain a spirit of creative rebellion, which will enable much needed changes in our political, economic and social landscape. We endeavor to mobilize and train organizers to skillfully open up space, so that communities can develop the tools they need to address the deeply rooted problems of the United States. We work to transform our society into one that is compassionate, inclusive, sustainable, equitable and connected.
PRINCIPALS AND VALUES
1. WE HAVE A SHARED VISION OF CHANGE
Creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
2. WE SET OUR MISSION ON WHAT IS NECESSARY
Mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – using ideas such as “Momentum-driven organizing” to achieve this.
3. WE NEED A REGENERATIVE CULTURE
Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
4. WE OPENLY CHALLENGE OURSELVES AND THIS TOXIC SYSTEM
Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
5. WE VALUE REFLECTING AND LEARNING
Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
6. WE WELCOME EVERYONE AND EVERY PART OF EVERYONE
Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
7. WE ACTIVELY MITIGATE FOR POWER
Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
8. WE AVOID BLAMING AND SHAMING
We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
9. WE ARE A NON-VIOLENT NETWORK
Using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
10. WE ARE BASED ON AUTONOMY AND DECENTRALISATION
We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion.