Melbourne Spring Rebellion
Starting on October 7th Extinction Rebellion Victoria will be joining London, New York, Berlin, Paris, Los Angeles, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and many more by disrupting Melbourne as part of the International Rebellion. This is a critical act of non-violent civil disobedience, to disrupt business as usual, and draw attention to the climate and ecological emergency we are facing and that the government is ignoring - endangering the lives of all of us, and all future generations of life.
Please fill out this form so we know when you are coming and how
you are able to be involved. This is a do-it-together movement, it is
through our collective actions that we are powerful enough to take on
the injustice of the government.
This is the time to act. Our voices and actions will be amplified by the simultaneous actions throughout the world over this period of international rebellion. This is not to be missed out on. This is how we will save our future.
About the week:
We will be occupying Carlton Gardens from Monday 7th October til Sunday 13th. By camping together we facilitate planning and build a common purpose. Melbourne City Council has said they will not allow us to use the site, which makes us even more determined to do so. It is really important that we have plenty of Rebels showing council that the park belongs to the people and help occupy the area. . There will be an Art area at the camp to prepare banners etc., we will have entertainment and we will feed the rebels. We will provide NVDA training and run People's Assemblies to guide our activities. Detailed schedules will be up before and during the week.
Various affinity groups are planning actions throughout the week. There will be roles for all rebels, whether able to risk arrest and imprisonment or not. Some actions are pre-planned by affinity groups and include blockading roads on Tuesday and Thursday, whilst swarming style (non-arrestable) disruptions will take place both planned and more spontaneously.
How can you contribute?
Extinction Rebellion is a de-centralised movement and we encourage every rebel to take an active role to help make this movement a success. There will be roles to be filled at Camp Carlton as well as at the actions. If you sign up for a team then you will be contacted before the week begins with further details and opportunity for training, and there will be inductions during the week by team coordinators.
Please sign up with this form so we know how many numbers we can expect and help fill required teams to make the rebellion successful. Make sure all fellow rebels have filled this form out as well
- Camp Crew: Helping out with camp logistics and vibes, including food, water, security, etc.
- Welcome tent: Be part of the team welcoming people to the rebellion as they come to Camp
- Marshall: Helping people find what's going
- Regen/Wellness: Taking care of rebels with food, water, psychological and spiritual support, etc.
- Legal: Legal observers and support with legal briefings, etc.
- Arrestee Support: Monitor individuals who are arrested, meet arrestee’s when they’re released with cheers, etc.
- Peacekeeper: De-escalate tension with public and police
- Logistics: Infrastructure for blockade, banner drops, movement of materials, etc.
- Media: Document and share the event, livestreams, work with outreach to communicate to public and media (before, during and after event), etc.
- Outreach: Communicate and engage with public.
- Vibes: Help create an amazing atmosphere, show the world that this very serious Rebellion is also about love and fun.
- Other: You tell us!
Extinction Rebellion is a Do it Together movement. Extinction Rebellion is us and Extinction Rebellion is you. The success of this event relies on all of us. We cannot afford to lose.