MAKE A DONATION TODAY!
Did you know that a $5 recurring donation will pay for one box of food at one distribution each month?
A $10 donation will provide 1 family with a FedUp box at both distributions each month. Make a $10 recurring donation and you can provide this 1 family with fresh produce for a year.
A $60 donation provides one box of food once a month for a year to a family in need. $120 provides a box at each bi-monthly distribution for the year. Make these donations recurring and your donation will reach 6-12 families each month!
Every dollar counts! If you only have a dollar to give, know that you are helping to provide fresh produce, personal protective equipment, and voting resources to frontline, essential workers.
We know that the current conditions result from a deeper crisis. In the United States, the world’s wealthiest nation, the coronavirus is showing the consequences of policies that have led to widespread poverty and inequality. Even before the coronavirus, 140 million people were either poor or low income. 87 million people didn’t have full health coverage. The vast majority of people working for minimum wage in America are working in jobs which often do not provide paid sick leave, meaning we are more likely to be forced to go to work sick.
Right now the government is spending billions of dollars to bail out big corporations, but far too little has been done to help low-income people and to prioritize human life. Now, we are taking things into our own hands to help solve this crisis.
Fed Up! is a political food drive organized by NC Raise Up - Fight for $15, NC Poor People's Campaign, and Carolina Jews for Justice. We are stepping in to do what our government isn't. We're building worker power and keeping bellies full. We are a movement led by low-wage workers building power to push with dignity and grit for the changes we need.
We are Fed Up with the lack of safety precautions and equipment on the job, Fed Up with the onslaught of evictions and unsafe housing conditions during and before the pandemic, and Fed Up with people choosing between putting food on the table, paying rent, or paying for life saving medicine. We are feeding the revolution!
We’ve been coming together not only to meet some of the most urgent needs of people in our community but to also understand how we got to this point where people are hungry and houseless in the richest nation in the world. This crisis did not start with this pandemic: workers have been Fed Up for a long time about evictions, low pay, and out of control utility bills and healthcare costs.
We know that it is not enough to distribute food and goods if we do not also question why people were struggling in the first place. It is time for all of us to come together and confront the system that has been failing people for long before the pandemic. We don’t want to get back to “normal,” because “normal” was not working for us. We want to live in a society where the needs of people come first, where we don’t have to fight every day just to survive.
We have power when we stand together. We are under attack, so come with us as we stand up and fight back.
Fed Up has three central goals:
1. Getting to know each other and our communities;
2. Learning together; and
3. Distributing groceries and face masks.
This food drive is about bringing people together to fight for dignity.
WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW MORE THAN EVER! DONATE TODAY!
Demands for Covid19 and Beyond
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."
- Frederick Douglass
1. Immediate healthcare for all, including 100% free COVID-19 testing, treatment, and quality care to all, regardless of income, age, disability, citizenship, or any other factor, and including the uninsured.
2. Immediate, comprehensive, and permanent paid sick leave for 100% of employees for this pandemic.
3. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for frontline workers, including gloves, masks, and essential cleaning supplies.
4. Compensation for lost hours, job cuts, and expansion of unemployment coverage.
5. Living wages and economic security for all workers by providing permanent, guaranteed and adequate annual income.
6. The right to form and join unions.
7. Real security by addressing the poverty and disinvestment in our communities that brought us to this point.
8. The rights of first nations, indigenous and native people be protected and honored.
9. A national moratorium on evictions, tax foreclosures, rent hikes, utility shutoffs, and a national rent freeze to secure adequate housing for all.
10. Jubilee and debt forgiveness for medical debt, student debt, water utilities, and other forms ofhousehold debt.
11. An end to the racial wealth divide.
12. Protections for democracy and the right to vote. Expand opportunities to vote during this crisis. Expand census to ensure every person is accounted for.
13. Consequences for abuses of police power, and justice for families and communities who have been harmed and terrorized by police violence must be a matter of law.
14. Demilitarize the police. End police violence. End mass incarceration. Stop criminalizing the poor.
15. Suspend all CBP and ICE enforcement and ensure all emergency provisions are made available to immigrants, including undocumented people.
16. End the practice of profiteering from crisis.
See our full list of demands here
Note on COVID-19 safety: The safety and health of everyone participating is a top priority. We will observe COVID-19 physical distancing, wear masks and gloves, and work in small groups (whenever possible with people who are already living together.) From advertising, to food collection, to building boxes, to delivery, we will prioritize safety. Door-to-door delivery or a community drive through where people do not get out of their cars are the safest ways to get the boxes out. We will keep a record of who is involved so if anyone gets sick we can trace it back and make changes.
Who We Are
NC RaiseUpis the North Carolina branch of the Fight for $15, a movement of millions of low-wage workers across the country who are fighting to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr and to win union rights for all people. We believe everyone should be able to speak up on the job without fear when facing sexual harassment, unsafe working conditions, wage theft, and discrimination.
NC Poor People’s Campaign A National Call for Moral Revival is the North Carolina Campaign of a nationwide movement of poor and low income people, clergy, and moral leaders coming together to confront the interlocking evils of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism and the war economy, and the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism. The Poor People’s Campaign seeks to shift the moral narrative, impact policies and elections at every level of government, and build lasting power for poor and impacted people.
Carolina Jews for Justice is a grassroots network of Jewish people committed to creating a more just, fair, and compassionate North Carolina. We build relationships where people help each other because individuals have a profound responsibility for the well-being of the whole.