We say NO to TxDOT’s plans for expanding I-35 through Austin.
1,850 supporters so far!
State officials plan to destroy over 140 homes and businesses to widen I-35 through Austin to 20+ lanes
Tell Austin City Council, Travis County, and our other local elected officials that we:
- Oppose the Texas Department of Transportation's (TxDOT) I-35 expansion plans
- Call for a full study of community design alternatives for I-35, including Reconnect Austin, Rethink35, and ULI's cap and stitch proposals
- Demand that plans for I-35 comply with City and community plans, goals, and values
“Our commitment [for I-35] is no wider and no higher.”
Chairman J. Bruce Bugg, Jr., Texas Transportation Commission, February 27, 2020
That long-standing promise from state officials has been broken. Instead, TxDOT plans to WIDEN I-35 through central Austin to 20+ lanes and seize 32 acres of land and raze more than 140 homes and businesses, including the beloved Escuelita del Alma day care center, Stars Cafe, and the Austin Chronicle building.
- Pollutes our air and exacerbates climate change
- Creates deafening noise over 75 decibels in surrounding neighborhoods
- Kills more people than any other traffic corridor in Austin
An expanded I-35 will worsen ALL these problems. And TxDOT has clearly stated that it won't even solve congestion.
Let's call on our local leaders to get involved, oppose I-35 expansion plans, push for community alternatives to be studied, and ensure all local plans are met.