Pass the Uyghur Policy Act
Tell your U.S. representative to support the Uyghur Policy Act (H.R. 4785)
People belonging to ethnic, cultural, and religious groups in northwestern China, including Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, and Hui, are currently the target of the largest organized detention of an ethno-religious minority the world has seen since World War II. Since 2017, over one million have been detained. Detainees are made to work under constant surveillance, with assigned minders and no freedom to leave. Their forced labor contributes to the production of goods for numerous multinationals.
In December, President Joe Biden signed into law the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act. However more needs to be done for to address the Uyghur crisis in China. This Uyghur Policy Act is crucial to the U.S. government's comprehensive support for the Uyghurs.
The Uyghur Policy Act (H.R. 4785) was introduced in the House by Representatives Young Kim (R-CA) and Ami Bera (D-CA).
The Uyghur Policy Act:
- Directs the U.S. Department of State to include Uyghur human rights activists in its U.S. Speaker program to speak at public diplomacy forums in Muslim majority countries about the repression of Uyghurs and other minority groups in Xinjiang.
- Requires a strategy from the Department of State on how the Department will seek to use diplomatic meetings with CCP officials in order to gain access to detention facilities in Xinjiang and secure the release of detained Uyghurs.
- Requires the U.S. Secretary of State to make available Uyghur language training to Foreign Service Officers (FSOs).
- Requires that at least one Uyghur-speaking FSO is assigned to each U.S. diplomatic and consular mission in China, Turkey and other nations hosting Uyghur diaspora populations.
- Directs the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations (UN) to oppose any motion that would prevent consideration of issues related to Uyghurs and the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region in UN forums and operations.
For More Information
Click here for the latest text, status, and co-sponsors of the House Uyghur Policy Act (H.R. 4785)
"Eight things you can do to help Uyghurs in a time of genocide," Uyghur Human Rights Project
End #ForcedLabourFashion Now - campaign website