Tell your Legislators: Sign On NOW to Support Fair Scheduling!
All workers deserve the chance to build stable lives for themselves and their families, but for many, erratic work schedules make stability almost impossible. Hours can be assigned arbitrarily at an employer’s discretion and changed with no advance notice, leaving workers to cope with fluctuating paychecks and constant problems coordinating child and elder care, second and third jobs, and further education or professional development. Women, people of color, and low-wage workers are the most impacted.
That’s why, across the country, a movement of workers is standing up to demand basic protections for Fair Scheduling, and Jobs with Justice is standing with them.
Here in Massachusetts, we have the opportunity to make Fair Scheduling a law in our state this legislative session. For the first time, workers in restaurants, retail establishments, and the hospitality injury would be able to count on:
- The right to 14 days advance notice of hours
- The right to request specific hours without retaliation from the employer
- The right to rest for 11 hours between shifts
- The right to be offered any additional available hours before an employer can hire a new employee to fill them
- The right to collect unemployment benefits when an employer’s failure to comply with Fair Scheduling practices is the worker’s reason for leaving a job
The bill has been filed in the Senate by Senator Marc Pacheco as SD.1881 and in the House by Representative Sean Garballey as HD.3384, but we want more Senators and Reps to sign on as co-sponsors before the deadline THIS FRIDAY at 5pm!
Can you take five minutes today to tell the elected officials who represent you in the State House that working people in Massachusetts need Fair Scheduling and we need them to cosponsor this effort? Just a quick call and an email can make a big difference in getting lawmakers on board!
Use this tool to write your Senator and Rep an email. You don’t even have to know their names — the system will find them for you!