Join Vietnamese Immigrant Businesses & Workers in Calling On the Garden Grove City Council to Stop All Evictions During COVID-19
Mayor Steve Jones and Garden Grove City Council
Join Vietnamese immigrant businesses and workers in calling on the Garden Grove City Council to Stop Their Evictions and All Evictions During COVID-19!
How can you help?
- Sign this petition!
- Email the Garden Grove City Council with the demands below and why you support the demands
- Share this graphic and the petition with your networks: bit.ly/stopevictionsingg
Email the council members:
- Mayor Steve Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Mayor Pro Tem John O'Neill: email@example.com
- Council Member Phat Bui: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Council Member George Brietigam III: email@example.com
- Council Member Stephanie Klopfenstein: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Council Member Diedre Thu-Ha Nguyen: email@example.com
- Council Member Kim Nguyen: firstname.lastname@example.org
DURING COVID-19, EVICTIONS ARE STILL HAPPENING IN GARDEN GROVE
Vietnamese refugees who are now small business owners, workers, and residents in Garden Grove, are calling on the Garden Grove City Council to take action to stop unjust evictions during COVID-19.
While the City has a resolution in place supporting an eviction moratorium until May 31st, this current resolution does not cover businesses or renters of self-storage facilities. Additionally, only an ordinance would give the workers the protection they need.
On April 9th, V8 Investments, LLC, the owner of a self-storage lot, evicted 10 immigrant-owned businesses and workers from the lot by towing over 60 trucks and 25 automobiles at their expense. Most of the impacted workers and residents work in the commercial trucking and construction sector, and were evicted despite paying rent for the month of April.
“We were forced to show up in-person during a heavy rainstorm to try to stop the removal of our cars and property. We put our health and safety at risk to try to stop this eviction. V8 Investments has put our source of income and livelihood at risk. No evictions of any kind should be happening during COVID-19."
- Ben V., a father, business owner, and Vietnamese refugee who faced this eviction
THE CALL TO ACTION
We are calling on Garden Grove City Council to take action to protect the immigrant-owned businesses, immigrant workers, and all community members from facing evictions during COVID-19 by:
- Immediately halting the eviction by V8 Investments, LLC and ensure that the businesses can return safely to the lot to protect their businesses.
- Enacting an ordinance to protect Garden Grove residents and businesses from evictions for 6 months and expanding those protections to renters of self-storage facilities.
- Monitoring and ensuring that V8 Investments, LLC abides by the moratorium on evictions.
Please sign and share! As our communities continue to grapple with COVID-19 and all that it comes with, no evictions of any kind should be happening during COVID-19 or in the months after.
This action is supported by the following organizations: National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON), Orange County Civic Engagement Table (OCCET), Orange County Asian and Pacific Islander Community Alliance (OCAPICA), Orange County Congregation Community (OCCCO), Resilience Orange County, Orange County Environmental Justice, MHS Amnesty International, AHRI, Tenants United Santa Ana, Viet-Care, CA Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative, CLUE: Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice, Chispa, Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Orange County, Kennedy Commission, (more to come).
Mayor Steve Jones and Garden Grove City Council
From: [Your Name]
Garden Grove City Council
11222 Acacia Pkwy
Garden Grove, CA 92840
RE: Vietnamese Business Owners and Workers Call on Garden Grove City Council to Stop Evictions during COVID-19
Dear Mayor Steve Jones and Councilmembers of Garden Grove,
My name is [Your Name] and I am a resident of [Your City]. I urge you to protect Vietnamese refugees and immigrants who are small business owners and workers who were evicted during COVID-19 by V8 Investments, LLC in Garden Grove.
During a pandemic, immigrant-owned small businesses and residents should not have to face unjust evictions of any kind. I urge you to take action immediately to protect the businesses and residents from facing evictions in Garden Grove by:
Immediately halting the eviction by V8 Investments, LLC and ensure that the businesses can return safely to the lot.
Enacting an ordinance to protect Garden Grove residents and businesses from evictions for 6 months and expanding those protections to renters of self-storage facilities.
Monitoring and ensuring that V8 Investments, LLC abides by the moratorium on evictions
Please take action now. They are running out of time.