Sign the Pledge to #DefendUndocumented
The news that Donald Trump is poised to revoke Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is the latest in a long series of the administration’s attacks on immigrants. DACA is one of many policies that creates opportunities for immigrants, covering over 800,000 young people.
Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities are overwhelmingly immigrants, and one out of every ten undocumented people in the United States is AAPI. We acknowledge that legal status has been used as a weapon to restrict immigrant communities of color and our access to resources since the founding of the United States. From the Chinese Exclusion Act to the current administration’s threats to family visa opportunities, our families have long suffered under stringent immigration rules.
But that also means we understand that an individual’s immigration status is not a reflection of their value as a human being. And, as AAPIs, we pledge to defend undocumented immigrants.
This is our collective call to #DefendUndocumented: our family, neighbors, friends, and colleagues.
- We affirm their right to opportunity, dignity, and belonging as members of our communities.
- We reject the white supremacist terror of detention and deportation.
- We pledge to show our solidarity in the days ahead in every way we are able: material, legal, political, emotional, and spiritual.
- We call on our Federal elected leaders to pass legislation as soon as possible protecting undocumented immigrants.
- We call on local and regional governments to pass legislation as soon as possible protecting undocumented immigrants.
- We call on state and local law enforcement to refuse collaboration with federal immigration enforcement on detention, arrest, and deportation.
From: [Your Name]