Support the West Maui Greenway Project: A Path to Sustainability and Safety
Governor Josh Green and Maui Officials
In the aftermath of the devastating Lahaina fire, the urgent need for a secure emergency evacuation route has become abundantly clear. The West Maui Greenway (WMG) project offers a golden opportunity to bolster our community's safety by establishing a dependable escape route during times of crisis.
Why WMG Matters:
The recent Lahaina fire underscored the critical importance of having a secure emergency evacuation route in place. The West Maui Greenway (WMG) project is poised to play a pivotal role in elevating our community's safety by ensuring a reliable escape route during emergencies.
Why Now? Urgency and Safety First:
The recent tragedy has underscored the urgent need for immediate action. While we understand that the county may have its own plans, we firmly believe that prioritizing safety by establishing a comprehensive emergency access network should be our top priority. We are pushing for the analysis and implementation of these vital emergency measures now, ensuring that the backbone of access out of areas is in place to prevent future disasters. Having this infrastructure in place is not just about safety; it's about rebuilding our community with the knowledge that we have a secure evacuation route in case of emergencies.
Comprehensive Emergency Access:
We recognize the importance of linking mauka-makai emergency routes for schools, connecting public meeting places, government facilities, and essential destinations. We must also consider special needs populations, including elderly homes and assisted living facilities. The priority is clear – we need evacuation routes established before our children return to school. The mental well-being and safety of our community depend on it. Going back to school with the assurance of a reliable emergency access route is paramount.
WMG offers multiple benefits to our community:
- Emergency Evacuation Route: The Lahaina fire highlighted the urgent need for a designated emergency evacuation route. WMG can serve as a vital pathway to safety, ensuring that our community members have a reliable means of escape during disasters.
- Underground Utilities: In addition to its role as an evacuation route, WMG can also be utilized for the placement of underground utilities. This dual-purpose approach maximizes the benefits of the project for our community.
- Fighting Climate Change: By promoting non-motorized transportation, WMG contributes to our efforts to combat climate change. It encourages eco-friendly modes of travel, reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Enhancing Transportation: WMG is more than just an evacuation route; it provides a sustainable means of transportation for our community. It connects neighborhoods, schools, and essential amenities, reducing our reliance on automobiles.
- Recreation and Wellness: Beyond its practical uses, WMG offers recreational opportunities. It creates a space for residents and visitors to enjoy outdoor activities, promoting physical and mental well-being.
An Opportunity We Can't Afford to Miss:
The Lahaina fire tragedy has emphasized the critical importance of WMG for our community's safety and sustainability. We have a unique opportunity before us, one that may not come again in our lifetime. We must act now to make this project a reality, ensuring that we have a secure evacuation route and a pathway to a greener, more connected West Maui.
Governor Josh Green and Maui Officials
From: [Your Name]
The West Maui Greenway (WMG) project is poised to play a pivotal role in elevating our community's safety by ensuring a reliable escape route during emergencies. We urge you to prioritize the implementation of the West Maui Greenway as a comprehensive emergency access network.