Advocacy Day & Rally to Pass the NY Packaging Reduction Act and Bigger Better Bottle Bill
Start: Tuesday, February 27, 2024•10:30 AM
End: Tuesday, February 27, 2024• 4:00 PM
Location:Meet at Westminster Presbyterian Church•85 Chestnut Street, Albany, NY 12210 US
Host Contact Info: email@example.com
Please join the New York is Not Disposable Coalition to meet with your state representatives in Albany and urge them to pass a strong Packaging Reduction and Recycling Infrastructure Act (S4246-a/A5322-a) and the Bigger Better Bottle Bill (S237/A6353).
Community members are invited to a Rally on the Million Dollar Staircase (3rd floor inside the Capitol Building) at 3pm.
*Bus information for downstate residents who RSVP'd for the bus.
Pickup and drop off locations:
*We ask for your address so we will be able to put you in meetings with your state representatives. Your information will not be shared.
Why is this important?
- Plastic packaging is made from fossil fuels and chemicals.
- The U.S. is the world's largest plastic polluter.
- Plastic is responsible for double the emissions as the global aviation industry.
- Just 5-6% of plastic is recycled in the U.S.
- Plastic never biodegrades, it just breaks down into smaller microplastics. Microplastics have been found in human blood, hearts, lungs, placentas, and breastmilk.
- The Packaging Reduction and Recycling Infrastructure Act reduces plastic at the source and makes packaging truly recyclable and less toxic.
- The Bigger Better Bottle Bill modernizes the current state law, and would recover billions of valuable recyclable containers from the waste stream.
- Massive grassroots advocacy is the firewall against Big Plastic's influence. The American Chemistry Council, fossil fuel companies, and consumer brands are in Albany opposing this bill and talking to legislators - we need YOU to add your voice to pass these two major climate and environmental justice bills!