DSA Birth Strike Reading Group - Session 3/4 [New River Valley DSA+MDC DSA SocFem]
Start: 2021-06-13 20:00:00 UTC Eastern Daylight Time (US & Canada) (GMT-04:00)
End: 2021-06-13 21:00:00 UTC Eastern Daylight Time (US & Canada) (GMT-04:00)
This is a virtual event
[RSVP for zoom link. Also see your confirm and reminder emails: click "event info"]
Our 3rd session of the Birth Strike reading group is June 13th! It’s not too late to catch up & join us as we talk about universal childcare & reproductive labor! Last session is a panel with the author.
The book is BIRTH STRIKE by Jenny Brown. Use code LABOR on PM Press for 40% off the book--so only $5 for the e-book!
[Catch up reading from Session 1&2: Pages 1-103]
Session 3: Read pages 104—160
-Chapter 8: Reproduction and Race
-Chapter 9: Cheap Labor
-Chapter 10: Cannon Fodder
-Chapter 11: Controlling the Means of Reproduction
Session 3 Questions
1. Are children “good” for capitalism? Does the state always encourage childbirth? What reasons do people in positions of power give for encouraging or discouraging population growth?
2. Do you think they want only certain nationalities or races to have more children or come to the U.S.? Why?
3. How has the state and capitalism historically managed Black women’s capacity for reproduction?
4. What do you want from society in terms of child rearing?
5. Do you think women in the U.S. are on a birth strike (or slowdown)? Do you think they should be?
7. Do you think overseas military ventures benefit people in the U.S.? Which people benefit? Who pays the price?
8. Given the arguments in this book, what will you do differently, if anything? What do you think the feminist movement should do differently, if anything?
9. What are you interested in doing to spread these ideas, if anything?