Kent Green Jobs Summit
Start: 2022-03-29 18:30:00 UTC British Summer Time (GMT+01:00)
End: 2022-03-29 20:00:00 UTC British Summer Time (GMT+01:00)
This is a virtual event
Join us to hear about the huge Green Jobs and Skills opportunities for Kent – and take part in the discussion on what action is needed to make this a reality for all, as part of a just transition to a zero carbon future.
About this event
Tackling climate change has the potential to create thousands of jobs across the UK. Kent has a major role to play in tackling the climate and nature emergencies. But do we have a skilled workforce to deliver the progress we need in the next decade? And how do we ensure young people and workers can benefit from good quality sustainable jobs?
Green jobs will come from the many changes we need to make across the whole of our society. For example, improving the energy efficiency of our buildings, and changing the way we travel.
This Kent Green Jobs Summit is being organised by a network of local Friends of the Earth groups
(Swale, Thanet and Tunbridge Wells), to explore:
· What are green jobs and why do we need them?
· What is the opportunity for green jobs in Kent to help meet climate and nature recovery targets?
· What is the current gap? And what training and upskilling of the workforce is needed to close it?
· How will training and upskilling be delivered? And what are the barriers to be overcome?
· What are the next steps from all stakeholders to drive progress on green jobs in Kent in 2022?
We are bringing together young people, education and training providers, trade unions, green businesses, councils, decision-makers and residents from across the county to share perspectives and discuss action we can all take to deliver the opportunities.
Our great speaker line-up includes:
- Greg Clark MP, Conservative MP for Tunbridge Wells, Chair of the Science and Technology Committee and former Secretary of State at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Denis Fernando, Climate Campaigner, Friends of the Earth
- Cllr Mark Hood, Kent County Councillor (Green Party) and member of KCC’s Growth, Economic Development and Communities Cabinet Committee
- Sasha Langeveldt, Students Organising for Sustainability UK (Chair)
- Rob Robinson, Sustainable Business Project Manager, KCC, working in partnership with LoCASE, the training funding provider for sustainable business growth in the South East
- Russell Smith, Director, RetrofitWorks, and member of the Government’s Green Jobs Taskforce
- Lynne Toogood, Chief Operating Office, Connected Kerb, the EV charging infrastructure company
- Dr. Anne Nortcliffe, Scientist and Engineer, Founding Head of the School of Engineering, Technology and Design at Canterbury Christ Church University.
……….but we want to hear your voice too!
There will be opportunities to ask questions and express your views and we will conclude with ideas on further action we can take to grow green jobs in Kent.
The event is FREE to attend but please register so that we can send you information and log-in details