NO BILLIONAIRE BUDGET! INVEST IN OUR NY INSTEAD! Rally & March at Columbus Circle
Start: Saturday, March 18, 2023•12:00 PM
Location:Columbus Circle•848 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10019 US
Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Invest in Our New York Campaign and Alliance for Quality Education on Saturday, March 18th at Columbus Circle to demand the state legislature reject Governor Hochul's billionaire budget & instead invest in working-class communities. We will gather at Columbus Circle at 12PM for a rally and march.
Gov. Hochul's billionaire budget shortchanges our communities through:
- A proposal to raise the cap on charter schools taking critical public dollars from our public education system;
- A minimum wage proposal that means the lowest-wage workers in our state will continue to get crushed under rising costs;
- A proposal on housing ignores the hundreds of thousands of homeless New Yorkers who need to be housed right now, and those at risk of becoming homeless. It ignores tenants and puts real-estate interests first;
- A proposal on child care that continues to exclude undocumented children and leaves child care educators in poverty;
- A failure to address programs of critical need, like the Unemployment Bridge Program or ensuring everyone in our state has access to health care coverage; and
- Proposals to raise revenue through a regressive payroll tax, which will fall on workers, and through increasing taxes on tobacco, increased tuition for public higher education, and fair hikes on the MTA. All these costs will fall on working-class people already bearing the brunt of inflation.
Governor Hochul's billionaire budget puts the interest of her big-money donors first –– donors like Dan Loeb, an investor and charter school proponent who maxed out his donations to the Governor. Some of Hochul's big donors include other charter school advocates, including New Yorkers Putting Students First, a pro-Charter political action committee that gave Hochul $40,000 in 2021; and $30,000 from Great Public Schools Political Action Committee, which was created by Eva Moskowitz, who founded NY's largest charter network Success Academy. It's time to tell the Governor, "NO TO YOUR BILLIONAIRE BUDGET, NO NEW CHARTER SCHOOLS, INVEST IN OUR COMMUNITIES INSTEAD."