NUCLEAR WEAPONS NOWADAYS: What You Can Know and Do
Start: Tuesday, February 23, 2021• 8:00 PM • Eastern Standard Time (US & Canada) (GMT-05:00)
This FREE 4-session course is informative and fascinating!
Sign up now to take it during February and March beginning TUE, February 23 thru March 16th or SAT, the 27th thru March 20thth (your choice). We use Zoom video, so people everywhere take our course.
Please share this opportunity with your friends.
The Cold War ended three decades ago, but nuclear weapons remain a threat to the world. Many recent and current actions by the U.S. government have sharply increased the danger of nuclear war in the “new cold war,” so now the “Doomsday Clock” is the closest to midnight it has ever been, since it was devised in 1953. Also, the U.S. is spending more on nuclear weapons than ever before – even more than at the peak of the Cold War!
However, most Americans do not want to think about nuclear weapons. This course provides necessary information for people who are new to the issue – and people whose knowledge is out-of-date. Much has changed recently, and dangers are increasing in several ways, but politicians and mainstream news media are failing to inform the public about what people need to know.
This 4-session course presents the serious information in a supportive environment and also lifts up some positive ways people can solve the problems. We go far beyond “doom and gloom” to actually empower people to support the solutions.
Four well informed people designed this course and trade off during the sessions so you’ll enjoy a mix of voices and areas of expertise. We designed this course of four two-hour sessions to help people regardless of how much they have known about nuclear weapons. This course is being offered with the support of Antioch University.
- the evolution of science that led to nuclear weapons
- how nuclear weapons – and the policies for using them – have changed over the years
- new dangers since the 2016 election
- impacts of nuclear weapons testing on innocent people
- decades of grassroots organizing to stop the arms race and abolish nuclear weapons
- international efforts to make nuclear weapons illegal, including the very exciting treaty which will soon come into force
- our own feelings and values related to nuclear weapons
- the power of nonviolent resistance
Nuclear weapons are frightening, but ordinary people can learn what they need to know and can take smart actions to reduce the dangers. Instead of feeling overwhelmed by hard, scary realities, this course helps people learn and also empower themselves to support the positive efforts that are happening at the global, national and local levels.
The course is presented by four well-informed persons from the Olympia WA area:
- Glen Anderson is chair of the Olympia Coalition to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (OCANW)
- Mark Fleming is the secretary of the Rachel Corrie Chapter #109 of the Veterans for Peace in Olympia
- James Manista is a peace activist who recently faced federal charges for resisting the Trident nuclear submarine
- Joanne Dufour has experience with disarmament issues including nuclear weapons, international humanitarian law, et. al.
We are volunteers who offer this course for FREE.
For more info visit: https://masspeaceaction.org/event/nuclear-weapons-nowadays-what-you-can-know-and-do-2/