Silver Lake - Rochester, MN
Start: January 21, 2017• 3:00 PM
Location:Silver Lake - by boat rentals•770 W Silver Lake Dr NE, Rochester, MN 55906
Host Contact Info: Redwood583@yahoo.com
(1) The city and police department have been notified of our march, and they said we're a go. There might be a patrol car that checks on us periodically. They've been very supportive!
(2) There will be one reporter from KAAL TV for sure that I know of.
(3) Please feel free to bring signs celebrating human rights, diversity, freedom, and equality for all. As this is a peaceful march and not a protest, please avoid any strong anti-Trump rhetoric.
(3) There might be rain... so consider bringing an umbrella!
(4) Before the march, we'll be gathering in the parking lot to listen to volunteer speakers share why they're marching (around 20-30 min). Consider bringing a chair if you need one.
(5) The bathrooms are closed for winter - just an FYI!
These are the official guidelines from the Sister Marches site:
* We are non-partisan, and will not use the Women’s March primarily to criticize politicians or political parties.
* We will use no violence (physical or verbal) towards any person.
* We will not destroy or damage property.
* We will promote a tone of respect, honesty, transparency, and accountability in our actions.
* We will not carry anything that can be construed as a weapon, nor possess (or consume) any alcohol or drugs.
* We will all hold each other accountable to respecting these agreements.
Thanks, everyone! See you tomorrow!
[We're on Facebook: Search for Rochester, MN - Women's March]
Thank you for joining us at Silver Lake, Rochester, MN on Saturday at 3pm! We can gather near the boat rental area, and decide our route from there.
This will be a token walk around the lake. Feel free to bring signs. I'm not sure how many people will show... Even if it's a small group, it'll be a walk in solidarity with those around the country. It'll be a time/place for conversations. No other speakers/refreshments are planned.
3 pm: Gather
3:15: Volunteers can share why they're marching
3:45: Token march around the lake
We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families - recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country. The rhetoric of the past election cycle has insulted, demonized, and threatened many of us - women, immigrants of all statuses, those with diverse religious faiths particularly Muslim, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native and Indigenous people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, the economically impoverished and survivors of sexual assault. We are confronted with the question of how to move forward in the face of national and international concern and fear. In the spirit of democracy and honoring the champions of human rights, dignity, and justice who have come before us, we join in diversity to show our presence in numbers is too great to ignore. We call on all defenders of human rights to join us.
The Women’s March will send a bold message to our new administration on their first day in office, and to the world, that women's rights are human rights. We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us.This is an INCLUSIVE march, and EVERYONE who supports the march's goals are welcome to join this peaceful gathering! We will gather at 3:00 PM on Saturday, January 21st at Silver Lake. Please RSVP to let us know you plan on attending - we hope to see you there!