Socialist Night School - Can the Left Govern? Multi-Tendency Tensions & the Podemos-PSOE Coalition
Start: Monday, November 15, 2021• 7:00 PM • Pacific Daylight Time (US & Canada) (GMT-07:00)
End: Monday, November 15, 2021• 9:00 PM • Pacific Daylight Time (US & Canada) (GMT-07:00)
This is a virtual event
Can the Left Govern? Multi-Tendency Tensions & the Podemos-PSOE Coalition
Not too long ago, Podemos emerged as a disruptive and promising force for Left politics in Spain, arising from the anti-austerity "15-M" protest movement. Since its foundation in 2014, Podemos has had varying fortunes. On one hand, it has steadily lost voter share and suffered from two decisive splits since its electoral apex in 2015. On the other hand, since 2020, it has found itself in the government, and along with its coalition partners from Izquierda Unida (United Left), has had some success in forcing concessions from its larger center-Left governing partner, the PSOE (Spanish Socialist Workers Party). In this session we will discuss the different tendencies within the Unidas Podemos orbit, the various challenges a multi-tendency Left has presented, and revisit questions about what it means for the Left to not only have its own party/parties, but to be in government.
Joining us is guest lecturer Danya Lagos, a sociologist and DSA member. In the past, she has served as a member of NYC-DSA's steering committee and as the co-chair of DSA's Queer Socialist Working Group. She currently lives in Berkeley, California.
This event will be a short lecture followed by a Q&A. DSA members from around the country are welcome to join us!
- "So Long, Pablo Iglesias" - Eoghan Gilmartin and Tommy Greene in Tribune (5/5/21)
- "Some Lessons of the Podemos Experience" - Dave Kelleway of Solidarity (8/2/21)
- Íñigo Errejón: "Podemos Missed its Chance to Transform Spanish Politics" - Interview with David Broder in Jacobin (10/23/21)
- "Catalan Independence Can't Win Without Broad Working-Class Support" by Arnau Baquer in Jacobin (2/20/21)
- "Spain's First Communist Minister Since the 1930s: "The Right Can't Accept a Party Like Ours In Government" - Interview with Alberto Garzón by Eoghan Gilmartin and Tommy Greene in Jacobin (9/3/2020)