Thanks for your support.
Help us meet our goal by spreading the word about this action using the tools on this page.
Add this event to your calendar of choice by clicking on one of the links below
Instructions From Your Host
● AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka will talk about bankruptcies and the national pension emergency. A panel discussion will further examine the role of bankruptcies.
● United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) President Cecil Roberts will anchor a bankruptcy panel that looks at multi-employer pension plans and lessons learned.
● Former union bankruptcy attorney and Alliance for Retired Americans advisor Sharon Levine will moderate a panel discussion on bankruptcy with Investment Banker Ann Miller of Cowen, Labor Attorney David Neigus and others.
● Nolan Harrison from the NFL Players Association will discuss how the pension crisis has affected the world of professional athletes.
● Former Maryland Lieutenant Governor Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and Sarah Tammelleo of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) will talk about the role that hedge funds play in identifying problem funds.
● International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) Director of Strategic Resources Neil Gladstein will explain how pension de-risking harms workers. IAMAW Research Economist Ilana Boivie will discuss Pensions 101 and Retirement Security.
● Senior Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) staff will talk about their role in overseeing single and multi-employer pension plans, with an overview of the current pension situation nationally, and make a presentation about the Pension Early Warning Program. More details to follow.
● Young workers will bring an intergenerational point of view to a panel discussion on the Future of Pensions.
● The National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans (NCCMP) will discuss advocacy and protection of multiemployer plans, their sponsors, participants and beneficiaries.
● Peter Hardcastle of actuarial consulting firm Cheiron will talk about the current state of pensions.
● There will be a presentation from Mary Margaret Prange, a partner at Calibre CPA Group.
● The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) will examine public pension plans, and offer guidance on communicating with participating members.
● The Pension Rights Center will discuss their role as the country's only consumer organization dedicated solely to protecting and promoting the retirement security of American workers.
● The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission will discuss the role of age discrimination.
● The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) will discuss investment scams.
● The Alliance for Retired Americans will offer presentations on the status of Social Security and Medicare.
● Additional information will be provided as it becomes available.
The American Pension Crisis - An Alliance for Retired Americans Seminar
Start: Tuesday, November 19, 2019• 8:30 AM
End: Wednesday, November 20, 2019• 4:00 PM
Create An Account. Start An Action. Free!
Online organizing tools like you've never seen them before.
Action Network's online toolset is fully featured. We have a gorgeous interface that's a joy to use. With it you can publish your own online actions, build lists of activists, and work with your allies online easily. And did we mention it's free to individuals and small groups?
Fill out the form on the left to create your account and get started, or click here to learn more.