The Census, Redistricting, and YOU: Preparing for 2020 Census Activism
Start: Tuesday, August 27, 2019• 6:00 PM
End: Tuesday, August 27, 2019• 8:00 PM
Join the King County Democrats for a panel on the upcoming census and redistricting process in 2020!
The census will determine federal streams of revenue to Washington state that impact important Democratic issues such as transportation, education, healthcare and food assistance. Come learn why the census is so important in regards to redistricting and equity, and how you and your local democratic organization can volunteer to ensure an accurate and fair census. This is a great opportunity to bring your questions! Tacos from Tacos Chukis and drink will be provided. This event is free and open to the public.
- 6:00pm-6:30pm: Doors open at 6:00pm, join us for drinks and heavy appetizers
- 6:30pm-8:00pm: Panel Discussion with Audience Q and A
Panel 1 – What is the Census and how does it impact Washington State?
- Alison McCaffree, League of Women voters
- Kamau Chege, Washington Census Alliance
- Elsa Batres-Boni, Seattle Department of Neighborhoods
- John Wilson, King County Assessor, Former Obama Appointee- Nat’l Census Taskforce
Panel 2 – How can I help ensure Washington state has a robust census count?
- Taylor Hoang, Partnership Specialist Team Leader focused on the Vietnamese Community, Corporate, and National Partnerships, US Census Bureau
- Francesca Abellera, Partnership Specialist Team Leaderfocused on Complete Count Committees, U.S. Census Bureau
- Ellen Abellera, Congressional Partnership Specialist, U.S. Census Bureau
- Debbie Carlsen, ED, LGBTQ Allyship