Webinar: Leah Bolger on the U.S. Overseas Military Base Empire
Start: 2021-03-09 19:00:00 UTC Eastern Standard Time (US & Canada) (GMT-05:00)
End: 2021-03-09 20:00:00 UTC Eastern Standard Time (US & Canada) (GMT-05:00)
This is a virtual event
The Overseas Military Base Empire: Presentation by Leah Bolger, President of the Board, World BEYOND War and retired U.S. Naval officer. She will present on the social, environmental, and economic impact of U.S. bases and how to close them.
Sponsored by the CNY Beyond War and Militarism Committee
Did you know that the United States has over 200,000 troops stationed on more than 800 bases in more than 80 countries and all seven continents? The bases embody the U.S. military strategy of "Full Spectrum Dominance." These bases must be closed:
- They are provocative, increasing tensions throughout the world.
- They cause untold, irreversible damage to the environment.
- Bases often prop up authoritarian regimes.
- Communities living around the bases often experience high levels of rapes committed by foreign soldiers, violent crimes, and loss of land or livelihood. In many countries the agreement that permitted the base stipulates that foreign soldiers who perpetrate crimes cannot be held accountable, since they are granted immunity.
- Maintaining these bases drains hundreds of billions of U.S. tax dollars annually which could be much better used to fund human needs here and abroad.
Click "Register" to sign up. You will receive a confirmation email with the Zoom information for the event. Be sure to check the box to "Yes, opt in to email updates" in order to receive important information for the webinar, including the Zoom link.