Federal Execution Organizational Sign On Letter
Join other organizations and sign on to the letter of opposition to the federal executions.
We, the undersigned, stand in solidarity with all concerned citizens, call to the United States Congress:
- Speak out against any federal executions which may be scheduled by the Attorney General;
- Address pervasive and systemic racism in the criminal legal system by ending the federal death penalty;
- Remove the power of the president to use executions for his own political purposes by passing H.R. 4052, legislation to end the federal death penalty and prohibit any further federal executions;
- Investigate the Trump reelection campaign's scripting of federal executions and address any ethics violations or violations of the law, if found;
- Investigate the conduct of the Attorney General, the Department of Justice and the Bureau of Prisons in light of troubling facts raising questions about the legality and constitutionality of the executions conducted on July 14 and 16, 2020;
- Close the legal loophole that allowed the federal government to override the Navajo Nation's stated desire that Lezmond Mitchell not face execution.
This will be an ongoing effort until the federal death penalty is abolished. The ask may be modified at times to remove old information and freshen it with current issues, such as the update on 8/20/2020 to add an ask to investigate and close the legal loophole that allowed the federal government to override the Navajo Nation. The list of endorsing organizations will be updated regularly. The first presentation of this list occurred on August 24, and the second presentation was on September 22, 2020.