Join the First Gigawatt Down Campaign!
You are a climate activist. You join in the climate strikes. You call on politicians and others to take action. But as you call for action, you can't shake the feeling that the action you're calling for is...a bit vague. You want to be sure it will add up.
This campaign is for you! For climate activists who want to make sure their solutions ADD UP and work for everyone. Come join the team of people working to get to zero carbon using a shared metric that really clears things up! Come show us your First Gigawatt Down!
This survey is invaluable for helping us plug you into the First Gigawatt Down campaign in the place where you can make the most difference. The survey will only take a few minutes. Thanks for filling it out!
So what's a "First Gigawatt Down"?
And why is demanding one the secret sauce to leveraging any cry for change? Check out the video and you'll see how issuing the Gigawatt Down challenge invites institutions, policy makers, educators, journalists...all of us, to get down to brass tacks. To put in motion the process of evaluating our options using a shared metric.
Climate change is a complex problem. The possible solutions all involve tradeoffs, downsides, NIMBY issues, you name it. We have a lot of tough decision-making ahead of us and, frankly, taking to the streets crying for unspecified change isn't likely to create effective change; change that solves the problem, that makes sense, that we don't later regret.
Which is why, at every opportunity, we urge you to gleefully ask your fellow activists, politicians, educators, anyone, to “Show us your First Gigawatt Down!”
If you're ready to demand a transparent decision making process where all options are put on the table using a shared metric, then you are ready to Join the first Gigawatt Down Movement!
Ladder of Engagement
What are the steps in this movement?
Step One: Add your name to this form! Join the First Gigawatt Down team and get on the mailing list!
Step Two: Watch the video and get others to watch it! Discuss!
OK, this is a multi-step action. The goal here is to get a critical mass of Americans (Oh, say, 10.6 million) to watch and discuss the video. Why? Because it's an eye opener, that will accelerate the conversation, getting people up to speed about the real barriers to solving climate change. Here are the steps within this step:
- Watch the video yourself. Here's a link. I've also embedded it at the bottom of this email.
- Get clear on what this video is saying. Ask us followup questions if you need. Email me at rezwan (at) fp2w (dot) org - happy to answer any questions.
- Share the video! Especially...
- Arrange a screening of the video for your friends or community. Discuss! Note that we will be happy to skype in and join the conversation with you!
Step Three: What is your role? Here are some categories to consider:
- Everybody! General Citizen-Consumer-Activists - Yes, everybody is in this category! Stay informed, and be ready to mobilize. For now, join in the climate strikes and other eco-strikes with a handy, "Show Us Your First Gigawatt Down" sign. Take selfies with people and the sign! There's also a T-shirt if you need new apparel. And check out our Twitter account for examples of how to introduce this concept into the climate conversation. Coming soon, a social media guide.
- Environmental Leaders - Those more involved in a particular organization. Consider your organization's strategy in light of the "First Gigawatt Down" metric. Prepare your organization to take the "Show us your First Gigawatt Down" challenge (have a clear plan).
- Local Government Leaders - Environmental commissioners, green team members, city and county planners, prepare for the challenge. Determine your town/county's share of your state's energy use and your share of the First Gigawatt Down. Also your zero carbon endgame. #ZeroCarbonEndgame. Join us for local Energy Master Plan exploration protocol development.
- Educators - Work with us to integrate this metric into your core Climate Literacy curriculum.
- Data & Tech Leaders - Work with us to develop a user friendly app to help folks connect this metric to local decision making. What is the #NIMBYCoefficient algorithm! #ScoreboardCommittee
- Politicians - There are a lot of people out there bird-dogging you to have an answer on climate change. Bird dog them back! Check if they are clear on their preferred path to a First Gigawatt Down. In a sense, we all need to birddog each other until we've figured out a path to zero that everyone truly understands and supports. Until we're all clear and calibrated.
- Journalists - Get clear on the concept, start reporting stories with better perspective and metrics. Coming soon, a video to help with that. Also, feel free to propose better concepts.
- Philanthropists - Everyone can be in this category! This metric will help you as you evaluate any given proposal and determine where to invest your social dollars. Do the proposals out there add up? Ask those energy policy oriented organizations you're thinking of donating to to show you their path to, and role in getting a First Gigawatt Down. Also, feel free to donate to us! Donate monthly or in other ways. You can build this movement directly, get this concept out there, and help turn the race to zero carbon into a national pastime as we build on it! More info here.
- Board Candidates - So you want to take the First Gigawatt Down to the limit? You want to join the Dream Teamand take a strong leadership role in turning the Race to Zero Carbon into a national pastime & coaching each state to win? Put your name in the hat here!
- And more! Tell us how you see your role!
Here's the video:
More to come In the emails. So sign up! Thanks!
To zero carbon and beyond!