XR New Orleans Sign-up form
Sign up today to Extinction Rebellion New Orleans email list. Get info about meetings, events, actions, and more.
We are facing an unprecedented global emergency. The government has failed to protect us. To survive, it’s going to take everything we’ve got.
We organize for these demands:
- That the Government must tell the truth about the climate and wider ecological emergency, it must reverse all policies not in alignment with that position and must work alongside the media to communicate the urgency for change including what individuals, communities and businesses need to do.
- The Government must enact legally-binding policies to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and take further action to remove the excess of atmospheric greenhouse gases. It must cooperate internationally so that the global economy runs on no more than half a planet’s worth of resources per year.
- We do not trust our Government to make the bold, swift and long-term changes necessary to achieve these changes and we do not intend to hand further power to our politicians. Instead we demand a Citizens’ Assembly to oversee the changes, as we rise from the wreckage, creating a democracy fit for purpose.
- We demand a just transition that prioritizes the most vulnerable people and indigenous sovereignty; establishes reparations and remediation led by and for Black people, Indigenous people, people of color and poor communities for years of environmental injustice, establishes legal rights for ecosystems to thrive and regenerate in perpetuity, and repairs the effects of ongoing ecocide to prevent extinction of human and all species, in order to maintain a livable, just planet for all.
We act in ways consistent with XR Principles:
(Based on: https://rebellion.earth/who-we-are/)
- We have a shared vision of change Creating a world that is fit for generations to come
- We set our mission on what is necessary Mobilizing 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – using ideas such as “Momentum-driven organizing” to achieve this.
- We need a regenerative culture Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We value reflecting and learning Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
- We welcome everyone and every part of everyone Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- We actively mitigate for power Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
- We avoid blaming and shaming We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- We are a non-violent network Using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- We are based on autonomy and decentralization We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion!