Who we are?
Garifuna are an Indigenous, group in Honduras, also Guatemala, Belize and Nicaragua now immigrate throughout different country. USA, Spain, and some other country. specially New York city of America whose distinct cultural, ethnic, and linguistic background has been unacknowledged and frequently misunderstood for Garifuna populations and perceptions toward culture, race, and Language.
How we developed
Anichigu Luma Amenigini Garifuna Women Group is volunteer nonprofit organization registered with the state of Seattle WA. Founded in October 2019, non-profit, formed by several women from Garifuna community.
To ensure our Garifuna community mainly get the information they need and resources specially education in general.
To arrive at this ambitious plan, we listened to many, we heard directly from the community about their experiences as a Garifuna Immigrant, many Garifuna Women are domestic worker mainly Homecare, Nanny and Housecleaning. Garifuna Domestics Worker, that is why we have partner with we dream in black/NDWA.
The challenges we face.
Garifuna immigrating due to displacement of our community in Honduras only last year about 420 and Garifuna was killing such nurse, doctor, land defender, Teacher etc. we need urgently an office space.
Our response to these challenges is set out in this strategic plan for the next two years. we believe we must have an office space and make better use of our knowledge, expertise, and resources to help empower more Garifuna Women by giving them the support and guidance we need. But we can’t do everything ourselves. We need your support.
Vision for 2021
Is to open our office in south Seattle to use as a drop-in center to continue Garifuna. domestic workers resources, groceries, supplies, connection for support, food distribution supplies pantry, primary site for workshop and training and Voice for Garifuna Community And to continue to provide with History and culture event.
Objectives ALA Garifuna Women
. Keep reach and strengthen Garifuna and black domestic workers committee Seattle and around.
· Manage our educational workshop effectively and efficiently as possible.
· plan, organize and execute other annual events in the city of Seattle WA or another state.
· ensure the need and well-being of our community specially education and culture.
· support education and culture mechanisms
· carry out all kinds of legal activities to raise financial funds to strengthen. the causes.
· united voice of many Garifuna community
1. List the Long-term
- Ensure Garifuna domestic workers committee take advantage of the Seattle Bill of Rights
- Identify biggest concerns in community (identification needs, health, education GED/ESL, employment immigration)
- Garifuna Community Meeting (ones every month)
- Foster educational workshops on basic principles at home for our children.
- EOY Assembly
How will the campaign give people a sense of their own power?
- Sharing stories
- Sense of community/unity
- Empower w/ knowledge educational workshops
To develop and expansion, socialization of our Garifuna culture, covered by the agreement 169 non-profit OEIT, our mission is to strengthen with the empowerment of Garifuna women with general education and expand our knowledge acquired over generations.
is to develop our community and continue to raise the quality of life in Seattle WA, Honduras, Centro America, and expansion of humanitarian aid to other countries.