Ask Your Senator: Pass the HEROES Act Today!
We need your help: Let’s work together to support Georgians through this crisis. Georgians have been hit hard by the pandemic and the deepest economic downturn since the Great Depression. Infection numbers in Georgia continue to grow, and our hospitals are yet again stretched to capacity. The economic recession brought on by the pandemic is taking its toll on Georgia families. Rising unemployment, cuts to public education and more mean we need to come together and do what’s necessary in this moment to help each other make ends meet to weather this crisis.
While policies to provide relief have been helpful – including extending unemployment insurance and increasing access to SNAP – much more is needed as this crisis deepens and impacts more and more Georgians, especially households with low incomes, Black and Brown Georgians and immigrants who have been disproportionately impacted.
A comprehensive federal package that supports Georgians' recovery must include:
- Additional federal relief that builds on existing successful programs by continuing the expanded federal unemployment benefits that Congress has already provided;
- A temporary increase in SNAP benefit amounts;
- Expansion of the earned income and child tax credits to help families buy food and other necessities;
- An expansion of the Education Stabilization Fund to better support our K-12 public schools, colleges and universities;
- An increase in the federal matching rate for Medicaid to help our state address health care needs; and,
- The creation of an emergency fund for states to help people who are falling through the cracks and to create subsidized jobs programs when workers can participate safely. These provisions must be inclusive of all people who call Georgia home—including immigrants currently left out of critical relief efforts like recovery rebates.
Together, we can ensure no Georgian struggles unnecessarily. Join us and take action!