Ask Your State Representative to Support Passing the Environmental Human Rights Amendment
Maryland state legislators are guided by constituent input in setting their legislative priorities. Delegate Wanika Fisher, our House champion for the Environmental Human Rights Amendment is asking Marylanders to write their state legislators and ask for their support of the Environmental Human Rights Amendment. When you do, please add a personal story about why protecting each person's right to a healthful environment is important to you.
Here are some key reasons to protect our human right to a healthful environment and establish the state as trustee of Maryland's natural resources on behalf of current and future generations. The amendment:
- Ensures each person’s enforceable right to a healthful environment
- Strengthens local government’s ability to protect Maryland’s natural resources, direct sustainable development, and include environmental health impacts in decision-making
- Close the gaps in environmental laws, and act as a true guardrail to prevent the most egregious forms of harm and provide environmental justice in our state
- Creates the impetus and support for stronger environmental laws that will fulfill this right and better protect the health of the environment and Marylanders
- Supports the policies and regulations of state agencies to better enforce this right on behalf of the people of Maryland
2022 is a critical year for the Environmental Human Rights Amendment. If passed in the General Assembly, this amendment would go on the ballot on November, 8, 2022. Legislators are identifying their priorities now for the next legislative session. Writing a letter today is an important step in building support behind the Environmental Human Rights Amendment.