Climate Emergency Resolution House
The Climate Emergency requires rapid, decisive action. Please urge your Representative to cosponsor Rep. Earl Blumenaur’s Climate Emergency Act (HR.794).
This bill directs the President to declare a national emergency with respect to climate change.
The President, in responding to the emergency, must ensure that the government
- invests in large scale mitigation and resiliency projects;
- makes investments that enable a racially and socially just transition to a clean energy economy by ensuring that at least 40% of investments flow to historically disadvantaged communities;
- avoids solutions that increase inequality or violate human rights;
- creates jobs that conform to labor standards that provide family sustaining wages and benefits and ensure safe workplaces;
- prioritizes local and equitable hiring and contracting that creates opportunities for marginalized communities;
- combats environmental injustice; and
- reinvests in existing public sector institutions and creates new public sector institutions to strategically mobilize and channel investments at the scale and pace required by the national emergency.
The President shall report annually on actions taken in response to the national emergency.
Please urge your Representative to cosponsor this historic legislation.