Dear Gov Kasich: Keep abortion safe and legal - Veto HB 258 and SB 145
The Ohio legislature has seized the 2018 Lame Duck session as their opportunity to send two extremist anti-choice bills to Gov. John Kasich's desk. Join our letter-writing campaign to urge Gov. Kasich to veto both of these bills. Let him know that you support keeping abortion safe and legal in Ohio.
House Bill 258 would ban abortion upon the detection of a fetal heartbeat, as early as 6 weeks of pregnancy, which is well before most people realize they are pregnant. Senate Bill 145 would criminalize the safest, most common method of second trimester surgical abortion known as dilation and evacuation (D&E). Both of these bills are opposed by the Ohio State Medical Association and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Both the abortion method ban (SB 145) and the six-week ban (HB 258) would:
- Criminalize doctors
- Remove a patient's ability to make their own personal medical decision
- Ban the safest, most common method of second-trimester surgical abortion
- Force patients out of state for medical care (if they can afford it)
- Include NO exception for rape
- Include NO exception for incest
- Result in expensive court battles at taxpayers' expense
- Codify bill language that is not based in accurate medical science