Take Action: Contact your Senator to Co-sponsor the Honduras Human Rights and Anti-Corruption Act of 2021
The legislation includes the following provisions:
- A call for justice, including successful prosecution of all material and intellectual authors of numerous emblematic human rights cases, including the murder of Berta Cáceres.
- Suspension of (1) US funds for Honduran security forces and (2) US support for funds from multilateral development banks to Honduran security forces until a series criteria have been met, laid out in the bill.
- Prohibition of US munitions sales to the Honduran police and military.
- A new MACCIH anti-corruption commission, to be negotiated by the United Nations, and strengthening of UFERCO, the special prosecutor's office
- $2 million for the Honduras office of the United Nations High Office on Human Rights.
- Sanctions for President Hernández.
Advocate for this bill to stand in solidarity with the water defenders from Guapinol, OFRANEH and the Garifuna community, COFADEH and the families of the forcibly disappeared, COPINH and all those fighting for justice for Berta Cáceres, and the countless others who risk their lives every day for a better Honduras.