Urge your state legislators to co-sponsor workers' rights bills in North Carolina
Workers deserve more rights
We live in a culture where corporations simply have too much power. Currently, they can:
- Ask us to sign away our rights
- Push us out of our jobs for any reason or no reason
- Work while grieving a loved one
- Check our credit in the hiring process
- Fail to conduct investigations for reports of sexual harassment
- Discriminate against those suffering from domestic violence
- Retaliate against injured workers
- Make it difficult for us to leave toxic workplaces when our healthcare is tied to our jobs
- Silence us when we've been abused
- Pay some workers below minimum wage
- Not grant sufficient sick leave amid COVID-19
- Conduct abusive scheduling practices
- Avoid accountability for discrimination through wages and promotions
- Steal wages
- Block public employees from striking
- Ask about our desired salary ranges, which has a discriminatory impact
- Verbally abuse and sabotage workers with zero accountability
We can change this toxic culture for workers through by passing these bills into law:
At-will employment, HB61
This bill will ban constructive discharge and wrongful termination and requires just cause in firing.
Minimum wage and subminimum wage (One Fair Wage) with wage theft, SB447, HB620
This bill will increase the minimum wage, eliminate the subminimum wage for tipped workers, and hold employers accountable for wage theft.
Paid family leave, SB418
This bill outlines terms for paid leave.
Paid sick days (Healthy Families and Workplaces), HB817, HB841
This bill will mandate the accrual of paid sick time.
Pay equity (North Carolina Equal Pay Act), SB338
This bill will prohibit discrimination in payment of wages on the basis of gender and define comparable work and working conditions.
Sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination, SB398, HB518
This bill adds sexual orientation and gender identity to protected status.