Recall Harper's Choice Representative to the Columbia Association Board of Directors
Harper's Choice Village Board
The current representative to the CA Board from Harper's Choice, Alan Klein, does not represent his constituents and has proven himself to be indifferent to the pleas of Columbia residents who want the CA Board to behave legally and ethically.
The CA Board has made it very clear that they are not listening to the dozens of people who have attended Resident Speakout in recent months in support of President/CEO Lakey Boyd, nor do they care about the 879 signatures added to the petition presented to the CA Board earlier this Fall. So now it's up to residents to hold their village representatives accountable for their dismissive, fiscally irresponsible, and unethical actions. Each village representative to the CA Board can be removed from that post by a simple majority vote of their Village Board. We must put pressure on our elected village representatives to listen to their neighbors and DO THE RIGHT THING!
Why should you care? We're glad you asked! Here are the highlights:
- The board has hired outside counsel to advise them on how to fire the President/CEO. They have already spent over $42,000 and have recently expanded the scope of work with the outside attorney.*
- They refused to allow the President/CEO to appeal her performance review and allowed their attorney to engage in intimidating behavior** when Ms. Boyd refused to participate in a meeting without counsel present.
- The board has held at least 9 closed meetings to discuss the President/CEO, most of which were not announced at the next open meeting per Maryland HOA law.*
- Harper's Choice residents should also be aware that in 2021, Mr. Klein was voted off the CA Board by his peers due to an ethics violation. However, he was able to run for election again in 2022 due to a loophole in the current Columbia Association ethics policies. He won his re-election by only TWO votes. He is now actively working to support a new, board-written ethics policy that would allow him to continue serving on the CA Board despite his history of unethical behavior.
Here's a list of articles that outline the appalling behavior of the CA Board in recent months and provide some context for this recall effort:
- https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/howard/cng-ho-columbia-association-petition-lakey-boyd-20221202-ddwidtdpj5alji6fq63wrhbv6e-story.html (may only be available to Baltimore Sun subscribers - sorry!)
Thank you for your support!
NOTE: Your street address is required so that the Village Board can verify that you are a CA assessment-paying resident of this village. Your personal information will NEVER be shared with anyone other than the organization being petitioned without your consent.
Harper's Choice Village Board
From: [Your Name]
As a village resident, I believe that Alan Klein does not represent the views of most residents of Harper's Choice and should therefore NOT be representing our village on the Columbia Association Board of Directors.
Additionally, Mr. Klein has a proven history of violating CA ethics policies and is now actively working to support a new, board-written ethics policy that would allow him to continue serving on the CA Board despite his history of unethical behavior.
I am asking the Harper's Choice Village Board to recall Mr. Klein as our Columbia Council Representative and to appoint someone who better represents our diverse community and does not have a history of unethical behavior in a board setting.