Preventing Gender Fender Benders Webinar, 8/16/17
Start:August 16, 2017• 8:00 PM • Eastern Time (US & Canada) (GMT-05:00)
End: August 16, 2017• 9:30 PM • Eastern Time (US & Canada) (GMT-05:00)
Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
You don’t want to be rude and you want a little help!
Transgender and gender nonconforming people are among our colleagues, our social circles, and the audiences we work with. Creating an inclusive environment takes expertise and effort, and Practice Makes Progress is here to help.
You have good intentions. Here’s a space where you can ask questions that might feel awkward and learn how to make good on your intentions, so that the ways you treat others gives them the dignity and respect that you intend. This is way more than learning some new vocabulary -- we’ll give you the context you need to navigate what might feel like a big change in what gender means.
You’ll learn a lot in just 90 minutes! Here’s a partial list of the concrete skills you’ll come away with:
- How to show respect and comfort with people whose experience of gender differs from your own
- How to ask someone what their pronouns are
- How to apologize and recover from making a mistake such as misgendering
- How to identify and challenge cissexism in your workplace and other parts of your life
- How to continue learning about the complexities of gender without unfairly asking trans people for emotional labor
Preventing Gender Fender Benders is a $200 value as a live in-person 3-hour workshop, and we've managed to squeeze as much as possible into a 90-minute webinar for those who can't join us in person. We offer tickets on a sliding scale in order to compensate our team for their expertise and effort and at the same time make this learning accessible to as many people as possible. Click here to download a letter to your employer requesting their financial support of your professional development!
Can't attend but want to hear about future learning opportunities? Sign up for email updates from Practice Makes Progress!