Declaring Independence from Fossil Fuels! Climate Emergency Bill Q&A + Next Steps
Start: Tuesday, June 11, 2019• 7:00 PM
End: Tuesday, June 11, 2019• 9:00 PM
Involved in or interested in campaigning for climate action? Then this event is for you.
The government are trying to kill the Climate Emergency Bill, a Bill to ban offshore oil and gas drilling introduced by Brid Smith TD.. It was due to be debated and move to the next stage of becoming law on June 11th, but instead, Fine Gael have pulled a low trick that means that our elected TDs can't even debate it.
The hypocrisy is mind blowing. This trick came mere days after Leo Varadkar and Environment Minister Richard Bruton supported a Dáil motion declaring a climate emergency and lapped up the international praise.
The lively evening will include:
- Video message from Bill McKibben, founder of 350.org, talking directly to climate campaigners in Ireland
- Greg Mutitt, Research Director for Oil Change International who have published prolifically on the evidence for keeping fossil fuels in the ground
- A panel with the TDs on the Select Committee of Climate Action who are being prevented from debating this Bill
- Representatives from grassroots groups such as Extinction Rebellion and Not Here Not Anywhere about how you can get involved in climate activism
- Representatives from the Stop Climate Chaos Coalition about what you can do to take meaningful action to see this Bill passed
Our elections in May week saw a wave of support for climate action by voters - across the country we saw candidates running on climate platforms out perform predictions. But Richard Bruton is still trying to conduct “business as usual” while pumping out soundbites that make it sound like he’s taking the climate crisis seriously - he recently signed off on oil drilling in our seas by a subsidiary of the Chinese National Offshore Oil Company and ExxonMobil.
This is exactly why we need the Bill to ban future oil and gas exploration that Bruton and Varadkar are torpedoing. We cannot allow politicians to sign off on any new fossil fuels to be extracted and burnt - or we’ll shoot past the safe limits of climate change.
Please join if you have been involved in any climate campaigning before, or even if you haven't, this is a wonderful first step to meet like-minded people and learn more about why we need to get off fossil fuels - and how we do it.
See below for some images clearly showing how more exploration for fossil fuels will lock us into climate breakdown.