MEA-MFT/MPEA WEST REGIONAL TRAINING
Start: February 09, 2018• 5:30 PM
End: February 10, 2018• 4:45 PM
Location:Holiday Inn Downtown•200 S. Pattee St, Missoula, MT 59802
Host Contact Info: Kate Treib at firstname.lastname@example.org, (406) 721-2928 or 800-398-0836
Friday, February 9
5:30 p.m. Registration Opens
6:15 p.m. Reception
6:45 p.m. GENERAL SESSION I and Dinner
7:30 p.m. Opening Comments
Guest Speaker - TBA
8:30 p.m. Conclude
Saturday, February 10
7:15 a.m. GENERAL SESSION II and Breakfast
8:15 a.m. Morning Workshops I (choose one)
1) Bargaining Basics
2) Member Rights and the Grievance Process
3) Treasurer Training (2-part session; continues at 10:30)
4) Bullying in the Workplace
5) Managing Student Behaviors for School Support Staff (2-part session; continues at 10:30)
10:15 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m. Morning Workshops II (choose one)
1) Union Leadership 101
2) Understanding Montana School Budgets
3) Treasurer Training (continued)
4) Managing Behaviors for School Support Staff (continued)
5) Organizing Academy Part 1*: Winning Bonds, Levies, & Local Races (must also take Part 2)
12:35 p.m. General Session III and Lunch
2:15 p.m. Afternoon Workshops (choose one)
1) Member Rights and the Grievance Process
2) Bargaining Basics
3) Advanced Bargaining
4) Organizing Academy Part 2*: Organizing in Action - Knocking to Win (must also take Part 1)
4:20 p.m. General Session IV – Conclusion/Sendoff
4:45 p.m. Depart
*More about the Organizing Academy
Organizing Academy Part 1: Our jobs as public employees depend heavily on what happens at the ballot box – from bonds to mill levies to local elections for school boards, city and county offices, and the state legislature. Luckily, we can have a BIG influence on these elections when we act together. This two-part series will share the best-practice tools to win elections, and put those tools into action. Come prepared to be outside for part of the training. All participants must take both Part 1 and Part 2 of this series.
Organizing Academy Part 2: We will put the the tools learned in Part 1 into action. In Part 2, we will head out in pairs to knock on members’ doors. Then we’ll rejoin each other to debrief our experiences. Knocking doors is the single most effective way to influence voters in an election or gain member support for a particular action. It’s also fun! Come prepared to be outside for part of this session.
If you are traveling more than 30 miles to Missoula, MEA-MFT/MPEA will pay for your room on Friday night of the conference (Feb. 9), provided you are sharing with another participant. If you desire a single room or bring a guest who is not participating in the training, you must pay half the room cost at conference registration. All guest rooms are smoke free.
NOTE: If you register and do not show up and do not provide cancellation notice by February 8, you will be responsible for room charges.
MILEAGE & MEAL REIMBURSEMENT
• MEA-MFT/MPEA will reimburse mileage expenses at 30 cents per mile per car with one occupant. If another MEA-MFT/MPEA member is traveling with you, reimbursement is at the current Federal Mileage Rate. Mileage will be based on the Montana highway map mileage chart.
• MEA-MFT/MPEA will provide Friday dinner; Saturday breakfast and lunch. If members choose not to join us for dinner on Friday, we will not reimburse dinner at another locale. Dinner on Friday includes a general session and invited guest speaker. If for some reason you are not able to attend this portion of the meeting, please indicate on the registration.
DRESS CODE: Casual