New York City Climate Strike with Greta Thunberg & Puerto Rico Day of Action
Start: Friday, September 20, 2019•12:00 PM
Not in New York?
On September 20, three days before the UN Climate Summit in NYC, young people and adults will strike all across the US and the world to demand transformative action be taken to address the climate crisis. Millions of us will take to the streets globally to demand justice for our present and a right to a future.
In New York, we will march and rally to demand real action by our elected officials and world leaders. September 20th marks the second anniversary of Hurricane Maria, which ravaged Puerto Rico. Activists from and organizations representing the Puerto Rican Diáspora are joining forces with the Climate Strike to commemorate the lives lost after Maria, and call on the government to #CanceltheDebt which has been exacerbated by the climate crisis and the corporations fueling it.
We will gather at Foley Square and then take to the streets to march to Battery Park. The event will conclude with speakers and performers, including Fridays For Future movement starter Greta Thunberg and NY-based youth leaders .
RSVP now to #StrikeWithUs.
- Vic Barrett, 20 year-old Juliana vs US plaintiff, climate justice activist
- Greta Thunberg, 16 year-old Swedish climate activist
- Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, 19 year-old Indigenous Climate Activist, Youth Director Earth Guardians; Plaintiff, Juliana vs US
- Julio López Varona, Co-director of Community Dignity Campaigns, Center For Popular Democracy
- Grace Goldstein, 17 year-old youth activist, US Climate Strike
- Rebeca Sabnam, 16 year-old New York & Bangladeshi activist, Youth Advocate for Cafeteria Culture
- Isabella Fallahi and Kevin Patel, Youth activists, Zero Hour
- Artemisa Xakriabá, Indigenous Amazonian youth leader, Guardians of Forest
- Marisol Rivera, 13 year-old Hurricane Sandy survivor, New York Communities for Change
- Varshini Prakash, Executive Director, Sunrise Movement Judy Sheridan Gonzalez, President, New York State Nurses Association
- Dr. Ayana Johnson, marine biologist and Founder of Urban Ocean Lab
- Special performances by Jaden and Willow Smith