PDX Climate Strike
Start: Friday, September 20, 2019•10:30 AM
In Portland, following the lead of youth from high schools, middle schools and youth organizations, we will be holding a rally outside of City Hall at 10.30am to demand an Oregon Green New Deal, and an end to fossil fuels here in Oregon.
This is followed by a march through downtown Portland, across the Hawthorne Bridge and over the the Eastbank Esplanade.
On the Eastbank Esplanade we will be holding a Climate Strike Festival near OMSI / the Tilikum Crossing Bridge, with opportunities for folks to become empowered in action for climate justice.
- Rally 10.30AM - 11:30AM @ City Hall
- March 11.30AM - 12.30PM @ Across Hawthorne Bridge
- Festival 12:30PM - 5:00PM @ Outside OMSI by Tilikum Crossing
What are we fighting for? Youth demands to City of Portland:
- Establish a Climate Test. Every decision made by the city of Portland and its departments must take into account the health of the planet and choose what will most benefit the earth.
- We need a bolder, stronger Climate Emergency. Formally declare a climate emergency with meaningful youth and frontline community involvement.
- Fund YouthPass. Fund free TriMet passes to all high school students in Portland.
- Stop Zenith. Deny any and all permits for this disastrous tar sands oil terminal.
- Unless these demands are met, Stay home Mayor Wheeler! Don’t go to Copenhagen for the C40 Mayor Summit in October as a 'climate champion mayor' if these truly bold actions aren't taken.
12:30PM - 1:00PM Speakers, Music
1:00PM - 4:00PM Workshops, Art Builds, Action Stations, Food, Kids Area
4:00PM - 5:00PM Speakers, Music
Climate Justice 101
Crash Course in Important Public Processes for Climate Activism
Fossil Fuels in PDX Area & How to Stop Them
How To Crunch An Oil Terminal & Keep On Crunching
Transportation Justice: What Does it Look Like?
Workers & the Climate Crisis
Sunrise Movement Trainings
Speakers / Music
High School and Middle School youth leaders
Brazilian / Indigenous Amazon representatives
Alex Loznak, Youth v. Gov Plaintiff
Alejandra Gallegos - OPAL Environmental Justice Oregon, #UpWithRiders campaign
More to be announced!
The festival is open to all, with art builds, workshops, music, speakers, kids area, food trucks, and a place to build community and gain the skills and knowledge we need to end the climate crisis.
**OMSI is offering discounted entrance for youth with their student ID, and holding special climate demonstrations all day**
Can't strike? Come march on your lunch break! Get off early and come down to the festival!
Volunteer on the day! --> https://forms.gle/7mtuhUkxwZ648avf8
Want to support the strike? Donate here! -> https://www.gofundme.com/f/portland-youth-climate-strike-2019
Organization interested in tabling or hosting a workshop? -> https://forms.gle/oekkimL7gSqSqeqG7