GCLR Stage 4 Objection Letter
OBJECT NOW TO GOLD COAST LIGHT RAIL STAGE 4
BURLEIGH HEADS TO COOLANGATTA
Join the Community Campaign to stop this project before it's too late
The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) is taking community submissions on this right now.
We only have a short time to act - that's why we have made lodging your objection submission easy.
Just fill in the form and follow the links on this page to lodge an objection submission and have your voice heard. We have provided sample submission wording which you will see when you click the START WRITING button.
What is the story with the proposed Light Rail Stage 4?
Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 4 (GCLR4) is a proposed 13km extension south from Burleigh Heads to Coolangatta via the Gold Coast Airport. It’s estimated cost is gigantic, at around $3 billion (the equivalent of two new major public hospitals).
Save Our Southern Gold Coast Inc fully supports improved public transport. However, we are strongly opposed to light rail as the mode for southern Gold Coast public transport.
Our main concerns
· GCLR4 is extraordinarily poor value for money. New, far cheaper, less disruptive technologies now exist
· The greatest need for new, high frequency, public transport is in much higher population areas such as Robina and the northern growth corridor of the Gold Coast
· GCLR4’s gigantic cost consumes most of the available public transport budget
· The singular focus on the GC Highway and light rail means most residents will continue to miss out on frequent and reliable public transport services for years to come
· Light rail will facilitate concrete canyon, high rise overdevelopment from Broadbeach to Coolangatta
· Light rail is not a rapid transit system – it is slow
· Substantial traffic, parking, business and environmental impacts.
A better solution
· Redirect GCLR4 funding into an improved, high frequency, distributed public transport network with several well-located, efficient interchange hubs, using modern zero emission buses to service the whole of Gold Coast City (including the southern Gold Coast).
· This whole of city solution would cost only half of GCLR4 and could be delivered in just a few years, well in advance of the 2032 Olympics.
· Finish Heavy Rail from Varsity to Gold Coast Airport as a priority, before any further light rail extensions.
Help us to lodge hundreds of community objections with all three levels of government involved in this project.
We are asking them to evaluate the recommended alternative solution of providing a vastly improved whole of Gold Coast City public transport system for a fraction of the cost of GCLR4.
We need strong community support to persuade all three levels of government to pause and re-think how they should best use $3 billion of our taxpayer/ratepayer funds.
HOW TO OBJECT – QUICK AND EASY
Fill in the “Return Address” form on this page. (Note: All fields must be completed)
Then click on the START WRITING button.
This will take you to a template letter you can use to lodge your own objection. You can edit this letter as you wish.
You are now ready to lodge your objection. Click the SEND LETTER button.
Your objection will go direct to: Hon Mark Bailey (QLD Minister for Transport and Main Roads); Mayor Tom Tate (City of Gold Coast); and Hon Catherine King (Federal Minister for Infrastructure).
Lodge your objection as soon as possible but no later than 25 November 2022.
OPTIONAL STEP BEFORE SENDING TO INCREASE IMPACT
To increase impact each objection can be personalised. Just add your own insights as appropriate (and please keep the tone respectful).
Once your personal comments are added you are now ready to lodge your objection. Click the SEND LETTER button.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HAVE YOUR VOICE HEARD